Chemistry -My first encounter with Carnegie Mellon was when I first learnt to build robots

esmusssein94 1 / 2  
Im applying to chemical engineering and chemistry. Please read and comment, thanks!

My first encounter with Carnegie Mellon was when I first learnt to build robots from the online VEX curriculum of Carnegie Mellon Robotics Academy(CMRA). One valuable lesson that I could still vividly recall is that engineering essentially encapsulates researching, planning, prototyping and commercializing, in which the commercializing phase is the most valuable and difficult one. This resonates with my understanding of economics theories. The invisible hand, however powerful it is, is limited by the production possibility front. Only technology can expand the production possibility curve to create greater welfare. Therefore, CMU`s emphasis on the economic utility and employability of education attracts me. The interdisciplinary programs, CMU`s jewels on the crown, have equipped many technology entrepreneurs with the relevant skills to use technology to improve our lives. To me, CMU embodies the power of technology in leading economic breakthroughs.

I applied to study chemistry and chemical engineering in CMU. Dolphin is my favorite metaphor for chemists. Like dolphins, chemists oscillate between different fields and explore the world with the synergy of all sciences. Quantum physics helps construct orbital theory, which offers the basis for many analyses. Similarly, based on biological knowledge, normal-looking molecules like 2-acetoxybenzoic acid are discovered to have useful pain-killing effect. CMU`s interdisciplinary approach appeals to me as chemistry itself is the bridge of different disciplines.

As I learnt more, I marveled at the deductive nature of chemistry. From the simple redox tests to the advanced structure-determination with spectroscopy, all chemical information is obtained from logical reasoning of certain physical phenomena. Chemistry is a unique combination of hands-on practices and deductive thinking, which matches my practitioner`s and thinker`s personality perfectly.

I used to find chemistry detached from life. But I was amazed that the matter-binding intermolecular forces actually form the basis of enzymes and substrates interaction; the weakly basic amine is essential for pharmacokinetics and pharmarcodynamics; the dark blue coloration when iodine meets starch was used as a rough measure to detect counterfeit notes. I start to understand that chemistry has immense utilitarian potential. Since chemistry knowledge can only bring economic success and help the world if the products can be commercialized, I am also interested in chemical engineering.

I applied to chemical engineering in CMU because its program has unique training and emphasis in computing and mathematical modeling and simulation thanks to CMU`s strong computer science faculty. Modeling and simulation become increasingly relevant due to the development of supercomputers and advancement of our knowledge. The Chemistry Nobel Prize of 2013 has been awarded to three scientists who have contributed in modeling giant molecules. Besides, the CMU`s chemical engineering department embodies the practical spirit of Andrew Carnegie. I am interested in the Air Quality Laboratory and want to have some research opportunities there, because air quality and other environmental problems become increasingly pertinent in today`s world.

With such education, I want to contribute to the pharmaceutical industry. For example, I learnt in a seminar that many hypertension treatment drugs have the potential to induce erectile dysfunction. This can be catastrophic to male patients` confidence given that more and more men in their early forties start to suffer from hypertension. Hence, I want to make my own contribution in the pharmaceutical industry by researching on drugs with fewer side effects.

CMU is well-known for its demanding curriculum. However, I consider that as a mark of quality since science and engineering are never easy subjects. Moreover, Tartans have their own way to vent the pressure through interestingly "nerdy" ways such as "Buggy" race, "mobot" festival etc. These just add to the lure of CMU as my ideal place for higher education.
sudhansu007 3 / 7  
Honestly, it answers the prompt pretty much. But there are some grammatical errors that you might wanna improve. I really enjoyed your essay :)
OP esmusssein94 1 / 2  
Thanks a million.Can you point out some grammatical errors of mine? you advice will be greatly appreciated.
I will read yours :)

Home / Undergraduate / Chemistry -My first encounter with Carnegie Mellon was when I first learnt to build robots