Chinese chess; U Wisconsin-Madison/ Gone Unnoticed

marcushbh 2 / 7  

The Chinese Chess Game

I am very happy to find this forum!

Statement One:
Consider something in your life you think goes unnoticed and write about why it's important to you.

For many young people, playing Chinese chess is the hobby of the elderly. For me, the special chess that full of Chinese traditional culture and stimulates me to spare time and effort is Chinese chess. In this 12-year chess learning, I improved my skill. More importantly, I realize that something essential which was cultivated in my learning to play chess became a spiritual prop of my development and enthusiasm. That is my thirst of knowledge.

Approximately from Grade1, I started to play Chinese chess with myself, and then played with elderly people who gathered in community public places. I still remember the first time I took courage to ask a grandpa to play chess with me. But he actually didn't want to play with me after two games of chess because of my poorness. I felt unhappy and complaining. Why could he not understand my position? I was just a kid. For a 6-year-old boy, it's hard to bear off this blow. So I stood by the side aggrievedly with tears and watched. Sometimes I stood for entire day. My keen to play chess made me keep learning myself. Gradually, I had my own methods to learn Chinese chess. I bought many books about Chinese chess, cut down the weekly chess column from newspapers, and asked the grandpas how to win the certain chessboard. I didn't realize that why I had gained these methods. All I knew was I want to improve my skill.

Then there came the first time I won the grandpas. My skill in Chinese chess kept improving that I far surpassed my peers. I even participated in the Chinese Chess competition in Guangdong province. But my failure in the Chinese chess contest final made me upset. The very point that led me to failure came from negligence in broader perspective and my eagerness to win. Such a guilty of negligence worked as a reminding to me in the following contests. I became prone to sort out the principal contradiction and secondary contradiction in the chessboard, think more and more when playing chess with the grandpas, and maintain a mental serenity whenever I win or lose. Gradually, I managed to deal with which part to accept or reject so as to calm down in any coming contest and grasp the overall situation.

Now, I form my own perspective. What I want in my childhood is knowledge about Chinese chess. Although my thirst of gaining these methods goes unnoticed, I finally did a good job. Finding my shortness in my contest encourages me to do my best during my growing up. I persist changing myself through the contests. Ultimately, my long for ameliorating my clumsiness empowers me to reach my success.

In retrospect, Chinese chess has brought me more than just fun. It seemed to make a difference of my life. I never knew that why I could get a great grade and win a competition before. But now I think my thirst of enriching myself is one of the main reasons.

This is my essay. Do you think my main idea is not very clear? Or the stucture is vague? Pls give some advices to my essay.Thank you!
I am very happy to find this forum!

We are very happy to have you here :D

For many young people, playing Chinese chess is an old fashioned hobby. For me, it is very special that makes me appreciate my culture and traditional values while providing great stimulation for me to relieve my stress. I learned this game for twelve years to improve my skills to this level.

I don't understand your idea in the highlighted part :(
What do you mean?
Pahan 1 / 1,906 553  
For me, the special chess that full of Chinese traditional culture and stimulates me to spare time and effort is Chinese chess.

For me, the special chess that is full of Chinese culture, that stimulates me to spare time and effort is chinese chess. ... I'm not sure whether the idea is brought out correctly in your sentence or even mine for that matter. I think you should rephrase it.

More importantly, I realize that something essential which was cultivated in my learning to play chess became a spiritual prop of my development and enthusiasm. That is my thirst of knowledge.

This part is very unclear to me. :/

You need to work on your grammar and presentation. Without those you can not write a good essay.
OP marcushbh 2 / 7  
Thank you very much! I have a serious problem in grammar. The vocabularies I use are always improper. I will improve my writting skill.

Home / Undergraduate / Chinese chess; U Wisconsin-Madison/ Gone Unnoticed