This clarified my attraction to physics; Columbia: Attraction to specific field.

BlackWaltzIV 5 / 10  
Hi,
Thanks for your time.
All criticism is welcomed. I'm applying from the UK, and I chose Physics as the specific field.

Prompt: For applicants to Columbia College, please tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Application Data section. If you are currently undecided, please write about any field or fields in which you may have an interest at this time.

Over the previous summer I was accepted onto a 4 week placement in the University of Liverpool Physics Department. I studied the methodology of the recent discovery of the Higgs Boson and the underlying particle physics; my project involved connecting the collision paths recorded by the ATLAS detector, and then identifying the properties of the particles to recover the parent. Then I had to determine whether there was a 'new' particle in my data and if so, the significance to which we can claim a discovery. The scientists I worked with had just returned from the 4th July discovery announcement, they were contributors to what is arguably the 'moon landing' of the 21st century. They were so modest, unassuming and captivated purely by their subject. This clarified my attraction to physics; the world of physics does not boast of its successes, its unavoidable impact of our everyday lives, because that isn't the point. Physicists are driven to find an answer; or even to ask another relevant question. Studying physics at Columbia will enable me to get involved, to gain a better understanding of the natural world and will give me the ability to discuss and be at the forefront of the latest research and ideas, which will either build upon today's accepted theories, or, perhaps the more exciting scenario, overthrow them.
mylesd 6 / 10 1  
Wow! This is really good.

Personally, I cannot find anything wrong with it.
My only suggestion is to consider expanding the contraction "isn't" and write out 'is not.'
It is not a big deal either way but contractions are informal and I believe college essays are considered formal.

Great essay and good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / This clarified my attraction to physics; Columbia: Attraction to specific field.