Columbia Engineering short answers

m126531 4 / 11  
Please tell us what you mind most appealing about Columbia and why. (600 characters)
I do not believe in consequences. Therefore, when I discovered that Erwin Chargaff, Martin Chalfie and many other pioneers in biotechnology went to Columbia, I knew Columbia was special for people pursuing a career in biomedical engineering like me. Furthermore, when I went to a Columbia event, the speaker emphasized the community service opportunities Columbia has to offer. As an immigrant and active community serving student, I believe the diverse Morningside Heights community will allow me to continue my history of serving the world one community at a time.

For applicants to The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, please tell us what attracts you specifically to the study of engineering (600 characters)

As the only male member in a traditional Taiwanese household, I am responsible for fixing a variety of broken home appliances, such as the thermostat, and wobbly tables. Because of this and three years of wood shop, in which I designed and build the fastest wooden race car and a miniature house, I had developed a love for envisioning, designing, and building. The resulting satisfaction when ideas are turned into reality is unrivaled. Engineers change the world by turning people's dreams into reality; and I want to be a person who can change the world and bring smiles to people.

What did you do last summer?(300 characters)
My family and I took a 6000-mile road trip in which we drove from San Jose, Ca. to Washington, D.C. and back. During the trip, I abhorred the arduous task of driving eight or nine hours every day. However in retrospect, this trip opened my eyes to the different regional cuisines and customs.

What did you do two summers ago? (300 characters )
The gym was filled with young kids. They were shouting, and wanted to play instantly. I was very nervous and had to calm them down to teach them the basics step-by-step. After numerous repetitions of drills, I feel accomplished in seeing everyone dribbling with ease, even Tori, the youngest student.
ekfoong 10 / 46  
question...
do the 300 character prompts need to be in sentence format? I wrote them more as a compounded list
OP m126531 4 / 11  
Maretta- thank you so much. i'll go revise it right now
i meant conincidence, not consequence
emily - i have no idea. sorry
OP m126531 4 / 11  
The gym was filled with excited young kids. They wanted play with the basketball instantly. I was nervous and had to calm them down to teach them the basics step-by-step. After numerous repetitions of drills, I feel accomplished in seeing everyone, even the 7 year-old Tori, dribbling with ease,
poisonivy 14 / 102  
Nice both of them. Regarding to the first, why not be a little more specific about which community service programs that Columbia offers impress you the most?

The second is great, very specific. The only thing: remove the and after the ; in the last sentence.
I would appreciate your feedback to my posts, if you could.
Good luck with you applications :)

Home / Undergraduate / Columbia Engineering short answers