Home / Undergraduate   % width   Posts: 2

Common App Essay Draft - 12 PM: Overcoming a challenge

rubyh18 1 / -  
The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?

--

12 PM holds a special place in my heart. It's that sacred hour between 4th and 5th period, where time slows down and expectations fade away. Our corner table in the lunchroom, once filled with the laughter of 12 close friends, now stands as a testament to the passage of time. We used to share everything-seventh-grade secrets scribbled on blush sticky notes, laughter echoing until we could barely breathe, and chocolate milk mishaps that bonded us closer together.
But things changed, almost imperceptibly at first. The laughter quieted, smiles grew strained, and our vibrant lunchtime haven turned into a silent battlefield of insecurities.

Years later, I find myself unwittingly observing a different kind of ritual, one that mirrors those lunchtime gatherings but in a darker, more introspective light. In the school bathroom, I witness two girls meticulously applying makeup, their reflections scrutinized with grimaces of self-doubt. They tug at their clothes, lamenting imperfections-bloated stomachs, oversized calves-as if trying to mold themselves into an unattainable ideal.

Caught in that mirror's gaze, I suddenly see what they see-a distorted reflection magnified by societal pressures and the media's relentless pursuit of perfection.
Reflecting on my journey to this moment, I recall the gradual shift from innocent friendships to a relentless pursuit of physical perfection. Memories resurface-skipping meals, pushing my body beyond its limits-the false sense of control and empowerment that once felt so real.
The turning point was stark, a wake-up call in a room on the eighth floor of Motts Children's Hospital. It was there, amidst the clinical white walls, that I realized the steep cost of my obsession. Pursuing an idealized body image had stripped away not just pounds but friendships, happiness, and my health.

Yet, amid the darkness, a flicker of realization emerged. This wasn't just about food or appearance; it was about reclaiming my life. As I finished that last bite, a small ember of determination ignited within me. I wasn't powerless; I was resilient.
In the months that followed, supported by medical professionals and loved ones, I embarked on a journey of recovery. It wasn't linear-marked by setbacks and small victories-but each day brought me closer to rediscovering my identity beyond the confines of appearance and calories.

Looking forward, my experiences have fueled a passion for mental health advocacy and challenging societal norms. I envision a future where I contribute to initiatives promoting body positivity and resilience. Whether through advocacy, community outreach, or a career in medicine or public health, I am committed to helping others find acceptance and self-compassion.

In moments of quiet reflection, I've come to understand that true beauty isn't about flawless skin or a perfect figure. It's found in authenticity, self-compassion, and the courage to defy societal expectations. My journey has taught me that healing comes from embracing imperfections and celebrating individuality.

At 12 PM, surrounded by friends at a lunch table, I am no longer defined by the contents of a lunchbox or the numbers on a scale. I am defined by my resilience, empathy, and commitment to making a difference. As I look ahead, I embrace a future enriched by experience and a steadfast belief in the power of authenticity.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15169 4859  
This is a highly personal essay. Thank you for sharing it with us. Your struggle was real and it could be read in every paragraph that you wrote. Everything you went through, the situations that you experienced, these are all things that most anorexia patients would be ashamed to discuss, let alone with a total stranger. You have a compelling story. Though you did not share everything with the reader, you shared just enough to make the reader remember you and what you have been through. I think that this essay can help you application because you decided to get personal with the reviewer, something that all reviewers appreciate. The way that you put yourself out there, waiting to be judged, or not judged, means that you are ready to face the difficulties of a college life.

Home / Undergraduate / Common App Essay Draft - 12 PM: Overcoming a challenge
Need help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: