Common short essay: Summary of activity, all comments are welcomed

justinwang 10 / 28  
The experience of volunteer teaching is very important and unforgettable to me. In the summer of 2007, with fifteen motivated students, I went to Peicheng Primary School in Sichuan as a volunteer English teacher. I taught my students Everyday English, which was not an easy task. Most of the students were very shy to speak English because of their accent. I spent days correcting their errors in pronunciation and encouraging them to speak English loudly. During the process, I learned much. I began to know how to manage a team. I gradually understood the power of praises. All people want to be praised, especially the children. "Excellent! You are very smart!" "You have improved a lot." "I like your pronunciation." Such encouragement stimulated their enthusiasm of speaking English. After two weeks of hard work, the pupils mastered all I prepared to teach them, making me feel a strong sense of achievement. Most importantly, I established pleasant and comfortable relationships with those lovely kids. During the break, they would like to share their stories with me. Many of them asked me to autograph their favorite notebooks and they often praised me as their idol, which was a great honor to me. Two weeks of volunteer teaching was short but rewarding, and was my sweetest memory.
Not bad overall, though the grammar is a bit rough in places. I might suggest, though, that you relate an anecdote about how you were able to help one specific student, rather than just giving us an overview of how you helped the class. That would make the essay much more personal and meaningful.
bhangra369 8 / 11  
I agree with the above moderator; your essay itself is on a good topic, but needs a better hook. Stories are always adcom's favorites. :)
imike 3 / 20  
It is very good, but doesn't the common short answer have a 150 word limit.
angel101 1 / 16  
I really like your essay. One suggestion though, maybe you should vary the length of some of your sentences.
OP justinwang 10 / 28  
Thanks very much. I will try to shorten the essay to 150 words.
akashnegi 8 / 23  
yes .. your response is very good.. and just perfect in the end. just try to write something you learnt from the activity..
I taught my students Everyday English, which was not an easy task. Most of the students were very shy about speaking English because of their accents .

I gradually understood the power of praise.

Hope this helps!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / Common short essay: Summary of activity, all comments are welcomed