Home / Undergraduate   % width   Posts: 2

Computer study / electronics - Personal Statement

Syke 1 / -  
My dad always encouraged me to explore new challenges-whether it was assisting the web developer designing our pharmacy's website after completing a web development course or setting up a CCTV system. These experiences illuminated the true value of technology: its ability to simplify problem-solving. The rapid growth of Artificial Intelligence, the subset of Computer Science I aim to specialize in, offers innovative solutions to long-standing issues. The prospect of creating, training, testing, and refining such powerful tools deeply intrigues me.

Deducing where to start on a problem can often feel messy and slow. To overcome this, I learned to write down the problem and adopt a top-down approach to break it down systematically. As part of my T Level course, I built an interactive reservation system for a restaurant as an assessment exercise. After analysing the problem, I identified the need for specific Python modules, including Tkinter and Matplotlib. I also created an interface blueprint to guide my development. Through designing various prototypes and integrating them, I developed a final program that provided the restaurant staff with valuable feedback and insights on reservation trends. Placing first in the state and fourteenth nationally in the Nigeria Computer Society's IT Whizkids Competition, where I proposed a method- how AI could diagnose illnesses using medical records, family history, and genetic data-for using Computer Science to tackle local issues, sparked my curiosity about the myriad ways AI could address existing challenges and the potential impact of its application.

Repairing broken electronics as an intern at Lx Computers, a shop specializing in a wide array of repairs, taught me the importance of maintaining a cool head and paying attention to detail. To challenge myself, I initiated a small project: creating a remote controller for the LED lights I installed in my room using a customized Raspberry Pi kit. Additionally, I planned to develop a mobile app to control the lights via my phone, which motivated me to learn JavaScript through YouTube videos and online tutorials.

My work experience at Fujitsu introduced me to Quantum Computing and its applications, expanding on what I learned about Quantum Physics in high school. My fascination with the reliability and versatility of quantum computers led me to complete a MOOC on the subject. One key takeaway from the course was Quantum Teleportation, which utilizes entanglement and has the potential to revolutionize data storage in the future. To further develop my skills, I used Python to emulate a low-level quantum computer, enabling me to perform tasks such as plotting graphs.

Outside of school, I enjoy boxing. The intense situations where I must think quickly and devise solutions provide a thrill that I love and allow me to express my creativity. With my eagerness to learn and tackle new challenges, along with my passion for problem-solving, I am excited to explore innovative ways to address real-world issues through research and projects. Ultimately, I hope to make a meaningful impact on my community and beyond.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15171 4859  
The personal statement is not a long discussion of your academic interests. Rather, it is an introduction to your personality and interests that go beyond academics. The presentation should be focused on the social aspect of your personality because that is what the use of the essay implies, a personal look at who you are in written form. While the reviewer will understand why your interests and personality may have something to do with your course choice, it should not reflect only your course interests and skills. The best part of this essay that truly addressed the personal statement aspect was

Outside of school, I enjoy boxing

Even though that paragraph dealt with your skills in relation to your studies, it served the correct purpose. It indicated who you are and what your interests are when you are not being a student. Expand on that. Introduce more of yourself based on interests that do not directly relate to your academic interests. That would make for a far more interesting personal statement.

Home / Undergraduate / Computer study / electronics - Personal Statement
Need help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: