Cornell Human Ecology--Biochemistry + Small Town

sadhvi010 3 / 18  
Please help me revise this!! Thank you!!!

Humans are prone to change. From the colonial period to present-day America, humans have seen changes in technology, medicine, fashion, writing, and life-style. College of Human Ecology at Cornell allows students to study these changes and engage in research in order to promote developments in nutrition and medicine, technology and design, and economic well-being. I am a devotee of the medical field, and I wish to give back to the society in which I matured.

The society, in which mine is the only Indian family, is located in the Pine Belt area of southeast Mississippi. The town is titled: Bassfield. The exterior of Bassfield's ghetto-ragged shotgun shacks, cars in yards, sofas on porches-belies an interior that alternates between despair and violence, with something like joy thrown in on rare occasion. We don't fit in. Our skin is neither black nor white, our accents are neither Southern nor Yankee, our cuisine is neither boiled nor fried. Yet I have found respite in these differences. In Bassfield, I am allowed to be the smart Asian girl. The stereotype helps me.

In Bassfield, I was exposed to the unfairness of the world. As I walked through the umber walls of my elementary school, I speculated the disgusted look on my classmates' faces. They watched me as if I were an unknown creature threatening their territory. Racial slurs were thrown and I the only warmth I was given was the shelter my parents provided me. My parents hid me from the intimidation of the world whenever I was home. At school, however, I had to learn through the chaos of puberty and my endless efforts to fit-in with my peers that we, humans, must be each others' support and embrace each others' differences. Instead, we are torturing others through prejudices.

After my sophomore year, I gained acceptance to the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science (MSMS). At MSMS, I was able to focus more on my academics than my social status. I explored subjects, such as physics, organic chemistry, and literature, and participated in biochemistry research in collaboration with Mississippi State University. As I learned new techniques, my curiosity sparked in biochemistry. I applied biochemistry in my research in order gain a chemical understanding of biological processes and link my findings to a common disease of today's society: Metabolic Syndrome.

At Bassfield, I learned about the importance of humanity. At MSMS, I learned about biochemistry, and I found my passion. I desire to help my society through my interests. I believe that the College of Human Ecology will help me channel my desire to help places like Bassfield transcend away from a ghetto, unchangeable life style to a more modern, accepting one, and continue on the pursuit of gaining knowledge in a field I have sparked interest in. The College of Human Ecology will allow me to study similar human behavior through application of science. Through this method, I will be able channel both of my desires simultaneously.
The town is called Bassfield.

... with something like joy thrown in on rare occasions .

As I walked through the umber halls of my elementary school, I pondered the disgusted looks on my classmates' faces.

Racial slurs were thrown, and I the only warmth I was

...through the chaos of puberty ...This is great!

As I learned new techniques, my curiosity was sparked...

I applied biochemistry in my research in order to gain a...

...unchangeable lifestyle to a more modern, accepting one, and continue on the pursuit of gaining knowledge in a field I have sparked interest in.

Home / Undergraduate / Cornell Human Ecology--Biochemistry + Small Town