"Death of a friend" or "International student experience" Essay topics for common app

locatimator 1 / -  
I have two essays ready for my common app
One is about the death of a friend, and it's huge impact on me
and the second is about my experience as an international student for 2 yrs in the US

For school specific essays "why x school" how should I go around these essays?
Should I talk about info from their website, and say why I would like it there?

What topic is more appropriate for the common app? Is there a way I can post my essays without every user seeing them - but the moderators?

Thank you
coeurreign 2 / 45  
For school specific essays, their website is always a good place to start to look for reasons. Just remember to put your own individual spin on it.

It just depends on what topic you think you can write better about. The death of a friend is always a personal topic and some might be able to properly articulate their feelings and it's impact. Your experience as an international student, I would say is the safer bet. Again, it's ultimately your decision. You can probably write both essays and just see which one you like best.

I don't know if that's possible seeing how this is a public forum. You're best bet would be to email the mods themselves, I guess.

The best thing is to talk about the specific professors. Do some research, and find articles written by the professors. If you are serious about a specific area of specialization in a specific field, you will be one of the students who read articles in professional journals even though they are not required to do so for a class. Do you know what I mean? The reader will be impressed if you are "on a mission," if you are determined to achieve specific goals.

I can answer questions like this without seeing your essay, but if you want us to see your essay you have to post it to the forum. Sorry!

As for the two topics, I think you could easily blend them both to support an essay that has your GOALS for the future as the main topic. The most important thing to do is share with the reader your ideas and intentions, so that the reader knows that she should give you every possible opportunity to proceed. :-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Death of a friend" or "International student experience" Essay topics for common app