Die, orphan!

jampamz 6 / 33  
Lol this is the short answer for the common app. Sorry for not clarifying that.

"Die, orphan. Die!"
In journalism, an orphan is the term for a lone word hanging over into the next column. Conventionally taboo, they are the bane of a page editor's existence. Though the page editing process is stressful, the experience is strangely satisfying. I enjoy toying with the layout of my page, and searching for the picture capturing the perfect emotion. I love leaning over new editors, teaching them how to masterfully text wrap, or encase their articles in gray boxes.

However, my true passion lies in conducting interviews. From the tragic story behind the closed campus policy to a misunderstood teacher's altruism, interviews help me view the school's personnel in multiple dimensions. They permit me to converse with school officials in an informal manner, allowing me glimpses of their true character. So when I hear, "Mrs. Bergantz hates children!" I shake my head, remembering how her eyes lit up when she described her annual fundraiser for Saint Jude's.
autogunny 3 / 72  
teaching them how to masterfully text wrap

help them master text wrap

children

students.. no one will say children because teenagers won't think of themselves that way.

I like your essay a lot :) Nice opening.

can you critique my bu 3 words?
nliu91 - / 2  
Maybe if you included the prompt, that would help.
I'm guessing this has something to do with journalism

encase their articles in gray boxes.
However, my true passion lies in conducting interviews.

Well, very abrupt transition. The prompt may make this make sense, but we don't know right?

Overall, this essay seems to indicate that you're a nice, considerate person. Not sure if thats the message you're trying to go for, but thats what i got. You've also got the point that you love editing, so I'm not really sure what you're really trying to say.

I'm guessing "page editing" means getting rid of "orphans", but maybe you could make that more specific for adcoms who might not pick it up?
OP jampamz 6 / 33  
nliu, yeah, I know. Should I just choose to write about either page editing or interviews? I really don't know how to fix the transition problem.
maXimumeXposure 3 / 8  
i l ik e t he ag gr es si on bo y. ke ep it up . an d ma ke it ab ou t ed it 'n...a nd ed it 'n on ly .
Lydia 6 / 13  
I like the opening. The essay somehow sound more like Shakespeare. I like your enthusiasm and the attitude in the essay.
Keep it up
ktcat4002 2 / 8  
Great use of language and very passionate!

Home / Undergraduate / Die, orphan!