There is no doubt that human beings are not omniscient or omnipotent, authorities also make mistakes

linying 5 / 14  
There is no doubt that human beings are not omniscient or omnipotent. Thus, it is common for people to make mistakes. Some of the mistakes made by authorities may even restrain the development of science or the improvement of an enterprise. Challenge people who in authority will minimize the errors.

The French chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur challenged the ancient theory of spontaneous generation. Before Pasteur stepped into this area, his friends warned him that the quagmire of spontaneous generation had trapped many scientists. However, regardless of the warning, Pasteur undertook several experiments designed to address the question of where these "germs" came from.

At first, Pasteur heated a flask which contained particular solution to violent boiling and then sealed the neck of it in a flame. The results cast doubt on the theory of spontaneous generation. However, his critics thought that heating made the air in the flask unfit for spontaneous generation. Pasteur argued in vain even before the Academy of Science.

After many experiments which demonstrate Pasteur's idea but not convincing enough to his adversaries, Pasteur still didn't give up the challenge to the authority. At last, he invented a long curve neck flask, which could prevent microbes without seal the flask. As a result, the fluid remained sterile for a long time. Therefore, he finally repudiated the theory of the authority and alleged that life comes only from life.

Another exact example is Jack Welch. He was the CEO of the General Electric between 1981 and 2001. By challenging the authority, Jack Welch took on a series of new measures to make GE the most valuable and largest company in the world.

Welch worked to eradicate perceived inefficiency. He executed many strict measures, such as shutting down redundant factories, reducing payrolls and cut lackluster old-line unit. Moreover, to guarantee the quality and the work enthusiasm of the employees, each year, Welch will fire the bottom 10% of his managers. As for the top 20% managers, they will get a good reward. By this way, Welch can control all of the employees push them to work harder to GE.

Through the data, we can conclude that Jack Welch's new idea has contributed a lot to GE. The company had gone from a market value of 4 billion dollars to one of more than 410 billon dollars at the end of 2004.It was Jack Welch's brave challenging that inject healthy fresh blood to GE so that it can be so successful nowadays.

Therefore, if we want to achieve success like Louis Pasteur and Jack Welch, we should be questioners to cast doubt on the authoritative ideas bravely.
mea505 - / 265  
Hi Lin!

First, let me say that you obviously put a lot of thought into your essay, as it uses not one example, but two to demonstrate your thesis. However, Lin, I am not sure that this is the sort of authority that they were referring to -- I would think that the 'framers' of the question were thinking about those people in a position of authority, such as a policeman (or police officer), a cop, a magistrate, a judge, or even the President. I am not saying that you are wrong, as you apparently put a lot of thought into your thesis statement and you explained it throughout your essay; but I was under the impression (before reading your essay) that the 'framers' wanted something entirely different.

Nevertheless, I'd like to offer you some suggestive corrections with respect to your essay. Most of these are small. It might behoove you to incorporate the following errors in a re-write of the essay. I would also like to offer you a suggestion -- write another essay, and this time, focus on the authority vested in a position, such as a person in a uniform or something of that nature.

--Mark :)

Challenge Challenging people who in authority will minimize thesome of these errors.

After many experiments whichthat demonstrated Pasteur's idea but not convincing enough to his adversaries,

At last, he invented a long curved neck flask, which could prevent microbes from entering without seal the flask

Another exactgood example is Jack Welch. He was the CEO of the General Electric between 1981 and 2001

By challenging the authority, Jack Welch took on a series of new measures to make GE the most valuable and largest company in the world.

He executed many strict measures, such as shutting down redundant factories, reducing payrolls and cuting lackluster old-line unit

Home / Undergraduate / There is no doubt that human beings are not omniscient or omnipotent, authorities also make mistakes