Dream the impossible dream; "Low Income family"

melina 1 / 2  
Have you ever dared to dream the impossible dream, to try and reach the unreachable stars? Going to college is a very important part in my life. Seeking to pursuit my future is something my father tells me to do daily. My father came from a large poor family, and never graduated from high school. He knew as he grew older that he did not want his children to live through the same adversities he did, he'd knew he still had to teach us the same values he learned. I will be the first to inherit my father's wisdom and reach my quest on going to college.

I come from a low income family where we face many challenges and stress other families do not. Both my parents were born and raised in Mexico. Ever since my father was a little kid he has worked his entire life to survive. His purpose in life was survival he made enough profit to provide for his family. He came to America in search for a better future. Despite the obstacles my father went through he managed to provide all we need now. My father gives me the confidence to go out and explore the world to become someone in life.

Growing up in a poor community and money less school makes you open your mind about the future. Imagine a world where all that revolves around you is students dropping out, your friends or teens in general getting pregnant, a classroom where all guys talk about is drugs, and having sex with girls. Instead of hearing about their future, their goals, their careers it makes you think about what you want to accomplish in life. How you want your children's future to look like. A community where you see homeless all around, dogs suffering in the streets. In a place where you're scared to go out no later than 9 o'clock pm because the gangsters are out causing trouble. But all that is left for someone who wants to succeed in life is hang on there while others have let go.

Being the oldest of my family, I want to set a great example for my siblings, so they can see that anything is possible. Even though living in a poor community you can be successful, all you need to do is try and not give up. My younger brother is now in high school, and I give him advice I tell him which classes to take and what clubs should be great for him to join. As I grew up I had no one to tell me these things, I had no one tell me it would all affect me in applying to college. I tell my brother to give himself challenges, he should never give up. In high school having extra math classes and joining extra clubs was a challenge for me put I was proud of myself for not giving up. My father's acceptance of my good grades was a sign for me that I am on the right path.

It is said that the world we live in molds us into the type of people we are today, depending on what kind of environment we live in: good or bad. Typically those who grew up in good environments are said to be the most successful, but is that really true? Anything is possible. Opening my eyes at what surrounds me has truly made a big difference on how I want my future to look. When I get discourage I reflect upon my father's boldness and valor I get inspired and re-energized.
okhabin 2 / 7  
Is it a cliched opening? I feel like it but I'm not so sure.

he'd avoid contractions. knew he still had to teach us the same values he learned.

Despite the obstacles my father went through AND he managed to provide all we need now.

Just a suggestion :)
OP melina 1 / 2  
do you really think its a cliched? Does it sound bad? honestly ? So i can fix it up. Any suggestions?
isabelbalitaUC 1 / 4  
For the sentence "Seeking to pursuit my future" did you mean to say, "Seeking to pursue my future" ? I'm a little bit confused by that sentence. Overall I feel like the topic of your essay is, although common, is effective in answering the prompt. I think you should provide more examples of how your environment affects you, instead of describing each situation in depth..
OP melina 1 / 2  
yes i mean pursue, thank you for catching that.
And examples on how it effects me? will do! thank you
chow95 - / 24 1  
Have you ever dared to dream the impossible dream, to try and reach the unreachable stars?
Should be, Have you ever dared to dream the impossible dream, to try to reach the unreachable stars?

Same for Even though living in a poor community you can be successful, all you need to do is try and not give up.

You should avoid the cliche "born and raised" in your second paragraph.

Home / Undergraduate / Dream the impossible dream; "Low Income family"