'Everything interests me' - Cornell College of Arts and Sciences Supplement

ailujg /  
I have been working on this for hours, and just kind of made sure I got all my ideas down. This is my first draft, so I know it's no where near ready to submit. I took a more fun approach toward this because I want the admissions to enjoy reading my essay, maybe even get a good laugh. Any advice is appreciated!

Describe your intellectual interests, their evolution, and what makes them exciting to you. Tell us how you will utilize the academic programs in the College of Arts and Sciences to further explore your interests, intended major, or field of study.

Everything interests me. If I could go to school and graduate into another school, then another school, then another school, for the rest of my life, I would. "Nerdy" as this may sound, I love to learn. From forensic science to the theater, everything fascinates me. The past year when people have asked me what I am going to do with my life after college, I have said everything from becoming an architect to becoming a pediatrician. The College of Arts and Sciences' liberal arts curriculum is exactly what someone with an open mind (as me) desires. I hope to take advantage of the broad course selection the College of Arts and Sciences offers. The pre-law advising in the College of Arts and Sciences particularly interests me because I'm fairly confident I want to peruse an occupation in law, preferably an attorney.

Looking back, I realized that I have always enjoyed putting up an argument. When I was younger, I presented arguments to my mother when I wanted to get my way with something. I specifically remember the time I tried convincing her to let me stay home alone at the age of 9. I used an extra piece of poster board left over from the science fair project to list bullet points as to why I shouldn't go to my "evil" babysitters starting with "1. She hates kids" to "15. She only has Sweet and Salty Chex Mix for snack time, and I like Traditional". I hung it up on her wall and argued my case (I might have watched too much Law and Order with my grandmother).

I have always enjoyed a good debate or proving a point, but I never thought I would be interested in becoming a lawyer or having anything to do with government until recently. This is probably because I hardly ever enjoyed a history class after the seventh grade. World History was a long two year struggle. US history wasn't as bad. I enjoyed learning about the Supreme Court cases. I found it fascinating how much our country has been transformed just through cases like Marbury v. Madison and Roe v. Wade. This year I really enjoy my Participation in Government class. Through the debates that we have I have learned a lot about my personal views, and have really opened up on expressing my opinions to a large group of people.

From presenting an argument to my mother when I was in elementary school, to having a debate in my Participation in Government class this year, proving a point has always excited me. Through the College of Arts and Sciences I will be able to continue to feed my passion for learning by taking a variety of classes while still taking classes that will help me prepare for law school through the pre-law advisement program. I hope to utilize Cornell's Extern Program. I would gain so much knowledge about law professions through this wonderful opportunity of shadowing a Cornell alumnus. Studying at the College of Arts and Sciences would give me the in depth knowledge I desire, and the discipline to prepare me for law school. I hope to someday be part of a Supreme Court case that makes a legacy on the United States, and I believe Cornell can help me achieve that dream.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
This essay is great! Nice job :) I think you have demonstrated a good ability to write, intelligence, creativity, and a wide variety of interests. This is exactly what the admissions are looking for- personality, and explaining what you plan to do after college. You say why college will help you achieve your goals, and that you obviously love to learn. I think you have done everything right, just go over your grammar and spelling and send it in :) Here are a few words that you may want to change:

The past yearwhenP eople have recently asked me what I am going to do with my lifepursue after college, and I have said everything from becoming anarchitecture to becoming a pediatrician.

I hope to take advantage of the broad course selection offered by the College of Arts and Sciences.offers.
mideayyy - / 2  
your essay is really good. I like how you started, but what EXACTLY does the Cornell prompt ask?

Home / Undergraduate / 'Everything interests me' - Cornell College of Arts and Sciences Supplement