'The Filipino-American community' - U-Mich supplementary

hanh1109 4 / 6  
Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

The Filipino-American community was not what I had expected but it was more than what I had hoped to be part of. In my first month in America, I had realized two things; Singapore and Michigan were two sides of a stick. Unlike Singapore where 4 out of every 5 person I walk by is Filipino, Michigan could barely make it to the one. Second thing I realized was that every Filipino which was not a lot to begin within my city was not pinoy, that is to say they were born in America or had very little to say about their Filipino ethnicity.

So once my mother told me about a Filipino-American potluck, I was both excited and weary. On my first potluck, I had also realized two things; this is it. The community that consisted of members throughout Oakland County that met only a couple times a year and had parties that ranged from; karaokes, potlucks and dinners was my very own small Philippines and to a girl that ached to see her country, it was a huge part of my life. Second thing I realized was that if this was as good as it gets, I was going to get everything I could experience. I hadn't missed a single get-together since my first and I had made it my goal to know everyone because anyone who would leave their country and find a community that emulates their home has a story.
sarahadams 11 / 22  
Michigan could barely make it to the one -but in Michigan you could go for miles and not spot a single Filipino
Second thing I realized was- One thing that i realized was that every Filipino, which was not much to begin with, were not pinoy. -( i don't know what the word means)

i think you should change that, i don't understand why it there ; this is it.

in a college its better to say had not then to say hadn't

over all amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'The Filipino-American community' - U-Mich supplementary