Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'Some folks have unrealistic expectations and to ignore facts' issue of concern

Guest /  
Discuss and issue of concern and its importance to you.

"The making of illusions-misleading images or ideas that appear to be authentic or true-has become the primary business of our society. These promises and activities only encourage people to have unrealistic expectations and to ignore facts."

Every day, attempts are made to persuade you. Adverts aim to improve you with products. Music videos persuade you to buy tracks. Newspapers try to sway your views about current issues and politicians seek to win your votes. These influences are only some of which that shape our minds (in a way that someone else wants it to be)

Through the severity of it between age groups, as a 17 year old girl, it affects every aspect of a teenager's life including what clothes we wear, who we associate ourselves with, the value of a pound, and most importantly the choices we make in reference to actions and behaviour. As children we are regularly reminded of tired clichés of the consequences of following the crowd yet we are surrounded with the current generation that are persistently losing contact with reality. I find myself surrounded by friends and peers that are dying to conform to this unreal portrayal, the distorted images of ideal lifestyles that are put before us encourage us to "try it out" and this makes me question where I stand in the big picture and question myself.

Media plays a huge role in shaping opinions which includes their values and morals but people should be using their experiences and knowledge that comes from this to make up these values, I think that rather than the media people and especially teenagers need a positive influence in their lives, something which guides them in making decisions and behaviours which reflect a positive influence.

I have recently started to attend a (group) called Swadhyay which means self study, in which we discuss issues and it's view from Vedic philosophy. Swadhyay promotes an idea of equality and aims to teach members about the importance of social development.

This issue is important to me because having had the opportunity to experience an environment like Swadhyay; it has made me see that instead of allowing the media to shape our minds and thoughts, we ought to base our opinions on our own life experiences and things we know to be reality. It has not only changed my perspective on expectations I should make but also in the way that I see other people.

Home / Undergraduate / 'Some folks have unrealistic expectations and to ignore facts' issue of concern