I found my ultimate goals ; UW CSE - broad perspective to the engineering classroom

karangoeluw 1 / 3  
Describe how you could bring a broad perspective to the engineering classroom. Factors to discuss include, but are not limited to: multi-cultural awareness, activities, or accomplishments; educational background and goals; living experiences, such as growing up in a disadvantaged or unusual environment; and special interests or talents. (Limit to 250 words)

Since I moved to the US last year, I had to micro-manage things in my off-campus room on my own, and remove as many distractions as possible to focus on my studies. This made me a true believer is simplicity, minimalism, and productivity; I try to include these traits in every aspect of my life now from general living to academics. It's a very minor point to note, but I do not like loud noises, I keep my pockets empty and wear simple and light clothes.

It is not my nature to keep my living beliefs to myself - I like to share them with others. For this purpose, I started a blog to help others become more productive in their digital lives, make them more minimalistic, and appreciate the beauty in simplicity. It was about a decade ago, when my dad bought me a black Compaq desktop. Almost three years after fiddling with the computer, I found my ultimate goals - writing code and attending a top college to pursue Computer Science. I became more active in the science community in my school and grew a special interest in math and programming. At the same time, I picked up a brush, and learnt how to paint. With a degree in CS, accompanied by my social, cultural and technical experiences, I wish to follow my dreams, narrow the gap between the creators and the users of technical systems.

Having said that, my interest has not been just computers and CS. I am competent in an array of sports and have participated in state and national level badminton tournaments and won tens of laurels since I was only 11 years old, achieved respectable ranks in national science and math olympiads, hosted workshops and information sessions for middle school kids to get them interested in the sciences. Besides sports and academics, I love cooking and experimenting with recipes! Even though I am only nineteen years old, I feel that my upbringing and experiences are varied enough to make me understand who I really am and what I really want out of my life.
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
---Make your conclusion into your introduction.

---Focus the body of your essay on simplicity, minimalism, and productivity.

---Post the next draft here and I will give you my next suggestions.

---We'll edit it for vocabulary, syntax, and organization.

Make the next draft as long as necessary to cover everything. Don't worry about the word count. I guarantee that we'll get it to under 251 words.
Bubba - / 13  
I took brush in my hands, literally,

I picked up a brush

During the last year

just write last year

make technology open to everyone

good statement but you should change it because you just said almost the same thing in the last sentence before that

Other than that it looks really nice!
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
Thank you for the suggestion

You're most welcome. However, I need to see the word "simplicity" in the first sentence of a body paragraph. Same goes for "minimalism" and "productivity."

Home / Undergraduate / I found my ultimate goals ; UW CSE - broad perspective to the engineering classroom