Describe your academic and career goals in the broad field of engineering

banjoko 1 / -  

to make a mark on my country

I believe that Engineers are the wheels on which the carriage known as society is placed upon. With every turn of the wheel, there is a new advancement in the world. The very first turn which is usually the most important was ironically, the invention of the wheel. After countless turns made by the countless bright minds, society has made countless breakthroughs in terms of technology. We harnessed lightning to create electricity, we conquered the land with automobiles, we even ascended Earth itself and flew to the moon. However, in my opinion, the most influential turn was in fact the most recent one - the rise of modern technology.

The emergence of computers and the Internet has utterly revolutionized the world as we know it. We are now connected in ways that engineers of the past could only dream of. There is so much untapped potential in terms of Computer Science. For instance, the development of artificial intelligence, virtual reality, blockchain, machine learning, along with many others are set to take the world by storm in a few years.

Ever since I was young, I had always wanted to make a mark on my country. I knew that wherever I find myself, no matter the industry, my ultimate goal would be to find a way to make Nigeria a better place. This is what I plan on using my Computer Science education to do, to become a part of the wheel system and improve the technological sector of Nigeria. There are many ways that I could do this and to be frank, I am not fully sure on how I will get there. However, I am sure that with the continued guidance and support from the Texas A&M community, I will achieve all of my goals.

My mom, told me to learn how to code when I was in 9th grade, because it was the future of the world. She encouraged me to try it because she noticed that I was always glued to my computer screen. I gave it an honest try by spending some time visiting Codecademy and learning Javascript. I soon gave it up, due to my lack of understanding of the concepts behind the techniques. In 11th grade, I gave coding another chance, when I took the IB Computer Science class. This class was the biggest influence in deciding on my path to a Computer Science career. It was also one of the biggest challenges I've ever faced in my high school career.

At first, I along with many other students struggled greatly in the class. It seemed that every week there would be more empty seats than before. However, through perseverance I was able to conquer the basics and from then it was smooth sailing. After the understanding came, an appreciation followed. Before I knew it, out of sheer interest, I'd be reading articles about topics we didn't cover in class. From then I knew that this was the field that I would dedicate my education to. The amazing thing is that the computer science world is like picking from a set of roller-coasters, each different but still exhilarating in their own way. I know that Texas A&M will give me a chance to try every single ride.
yyoussef 1 / 2  
i think that you need to skip the part of giving up since it has a negative impact on the reader or maybe re paraphrasing that it wasn't easy but not to include this in conclusion. And also try to describe the impact of your mother's piece of advice in your career in a better way, as it seems as if she has chosen your path, which won't help you to make your essay impressive to the reader.
Ayo, this is not an essay that responds to the prompt requirements. You are being asked to discuss your academic and professional goals. The presentation you wrote does not do that. You are instead discussing your personal interests and how it led to your interest in this course. That is called a personal statement, which is not what you are being asked to write. This essay cannot be used. You need to write a new essay that will focus on only 2 paragraphs for the presentation. The first paragraph will describe why you want to learn more about computer engineering (academic goals), and what career you plan to have after graduation (career goals), which should be based on the specific academic interests you have in the field. Write a new 2 paragraph essay that responds to the situations I presented. That is all you need to present in the essay.

Home / Undergraduate / Describe your academic and career goals in the broad field of engineering