Georgetown essay - Perfectionist

ssuraj 4 / 7  
Essay One
ALL APPLICANTS: The Admissions Committee would like to know more about you in your own words. Please submit a brief essay, either personal or creative, which you feel best describes you.

In fourth grade, our teacher assigned each student with a job in the classroom. My job was to clean the white board at the end of the day and then write the following day's date at the top so it would be ready for the next day. I took this job very seriously even though it was just a matter of erasing multiplication tables or compound sentences. I wanted to impress my teacher by erasing everything down to the last black smudge with the help of a cleaning spray to get rid of the smearing effect. Clearly, my policy to make sure that my job was done right proved that I likened to perfectionist policies. I'm what you would call a normal perfectionist; I've always set high standards for myself to excel and if circumstance compels me, I'd be willing to lower them to meet expectations. I devote both my successes and failures to my perfectionist attitude.

My dad often says "Strive for excellence, not perfection!" At first, this seemed to contradict my beliefs and attitude; however, I realized after countless times, that even though I maintain a perfectionist attitude, I use that as my drive to achieve excellence. In all honesty, excellence is true perfection. My perfectionist attitude has also contributed greatly to procrastination, because I'm always picky about the "perfect" or right way to do something that I get caught up in that and waste time. Although procrastination is bad, it is my way of pre-planning everything in my head. And in the final stage, I give it my all and according to my past experiences, I've succeeded and achieved excellence on my assignments and projects fairly well. Procrastination to me is just the stage where I feel too overwhelmed to do the task at hand until I have planned it out carefully in my head and made sure I'm not remiss in any aspect. This has proven quite effective for me and I've become accustomed to it. However, my perfectionist attitude has also let me glean how I can change for the better from the unfavorable experiences. It has kept me alert to put things such as procrastination and my "give it all in go" policy in context to the situation. In this way, I'm flexible when I need to be and have a higher transparency and accountability over the matters at hand.

In the real world has become a feeding frenzy when it comes to bequeathing positions of power and responsibility to newer and younger adults. Competition has exponentially increased and has become the external capitalistic driving force of our lives. In order to be the cream of the crop, it has become vital that a student is capable of upholding his/her domestic values and meeting deadlines and expectations. And throughout my years in school, I've principally adhered to refining the little details of my personality and how I maintain and actively use what I learn and know. My efforts to be perfect in what I do may seem to be in vain as no one can achieve perfection, but it most definitely has allowed me to value what I know. What good is it if I'm just a skeptic who knows everything, but the value of nothing. My perfectionism has made sure that I learn and relearn and value what I have learned. It has been an essential part of me because it has taught me that to do my best in anything even when I know nothing of it. It has given me the sense of being dutiful and maintaining continuity to completion.

No matter the outcome, this attitude of mine has given me a unique experience in all affairs of life. It has been the vehicle of persistence that has propelled me to pursue my interests actively and daringly. The constant self-scrutinizing, although harsh at times, has made me strive to perfect the little things in life and refine my lifestyle.

please give much constructive criticism!!! thank you!
SkittleRose 4 / 15  
Clearly, my desire to make sure that my job was done correctly proved that I likened to perfectionist policies.

I use that as my motivation to achieve excellence. To me, excellence is true perfection.

The real world has become a feeding frenzy when it comes to bequeathing positions of power and responsibility to newer and younger adults.

Throughout my years in school,I have principally adhered to refining the little details of my personality and how I maintain and actively use what I learn and know.

The constant self-scrutinizing, although harsh at times, has made me strive to perfect the little things in life and refine my lifestyle. ---> Either end after life, or explain further how your lifestyle is refined.

I think you wrote a solid essay, except I don't know if I would blantantly admit to procrastination. I like your honesty and I like what procrastination is to you personally though, but I'm not sure how great of a reflection that would be of you in admissions. Taking risks can be good sometimes though.

Good luck!!! Please help me out as well:

Home / Undergraduate / Georgetown essay - Perfectionist