'getting someone else to do whant you want' - LEADERSHIP ESSAY

elleburdyug 1 / 1  
HELP! I'm applying for the exchange program and need to write an essay: Please describe why you would like to study in the US. What past experiences have given you this motivation? How will studying on the Global UGRAD program help you learn about America? How will learning about the U.S. influence your personal and professional goals for the future?

Please help me out, if i have any mistakes and so on. it is not finished yet.

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do whant you wNT DONE BECAUSE HE WANTS TO DO IT" - Dweight D. Eisenhower.

This qoute perfectly reflects my view on good leadership. Besides, I suppose, five-star general of the US army is an expert in this field. The thing is that leading doesn't mean forcing people to obey your orders submissively. It means making them share your ideas and willingly follow you. In other words, merely saying "Go there and do this" is not a top solution. Noone feels like being docile puppet. I think, suggesting new ideas, maintaining morale of the team, encouraging and setting everyone at his ease is the key to success in becoming a capable leader. Make people want you to lead!

Who is the most Outstanding leader to my mind? Steve Jobs is a prime example for me. His Stanford Commencement speech which I heard recently fixed an undelible inmpression in my mind. A CEO of a huge "Apple" company has a noteworthy lifestory. At the age of 17 he dropped college after six months studying in search of something he would like to devote his life to. In three years full of privations and doubts he created the first Macintosh computer in a garage. Here it was! Intuition and courage led Steve Jobs to his destiny. Few years later his start-up expanded into a billion dollar company. But no sooner did he get out of one trouble than down came another. The board of directors fired Mr. Jobes from hi own brainchild! Though it was devastating and almost destroyed his every hope, he found strength to keep on doing what he loved. Eventually, under unbelievable curcumstances he got the opportunity to come back to "Apple". So this story has a happy end.

What I admire is this person's courage, willpower and confidence. These traits are indispensable for a leader. Sometimes you need guts to turn off the well-worn path and go your own way. And it is up to you whether you fail or leave the trails. Even when the life hits you in a head with a brick stand up and go on!
nicolew 6 / 10  
take out "i suppose" in the first line. Take out "the thing is". Take out "I think" in the 4th line.

Home / Undergraduate / 'getting someone else to do whant you want' - LEADERSHIP ESSAY