What is a GLOBAL CITIZEN? GWU SUPPLEMENT

meliza8809 6 / 23  
2. In an essay of approximately 500 words...
a. An important aim of the GW University Honors Program is to enable its students to become 'active global citizens. 'What do you think it means to be a global citizen? Be specific, and use imaginative examples or illustrations. Surprise us.

Alice Liddell of Lewis Carroll's most beloved story and Mr. Kurtz of Joseph Conrad's in depth literary exploration of the human psyche, although quite unconventional, can both be seen, in their own right, as archetypes of "global citizenry". With expected takes on prominent international figures such as Nelson Mandela or Mahatma Gandhi, how could these mere fictional characters ever compare? The answer lies in their adventures which have entranced us.

Being a global citizen is often defined with that sense of unselfish concern for the international community. Yet being unselfish means knowing the necessities of those of the downtrodden, the bereaved, and the oppressed. It is knowing that beyond the scope of altruistic intent is embracing the reality that beyond man's façade is something "Curiouser and curiouser"- one that beckons "The horror! The horror!" It is this knowledge that makes one a global citizen: One that has the willingness to traverse upon the heart of darkness and have the courage to embrace that we are all products of a mad world.

Through Alice's eyes and her adventures in Wonderland, I learned that our world is no different. It is a place of maddening proportions where the paths are all but straight- a world governed by nonsense. Understanding this, I reflected upon Alice's actions of moving forward. Nothing seemed to slow her down. Though obstacles of idiosyncratic breadth appeared in her path, she stood up against the dictates of the Queen of Hearts' "Off with their heads" and escaped unscathed. A global citizen is similar. It is an individual that continues, that perseveres, that moves forward despite international barriers and constraints of time. He is like a diplomat that continuously passes an international stature that he firmly believes will save the lives of those plagued by an epidemic. He does not falter. Defeat becomes his motivation, not his downfall.

Transformed by the ominous environment of Africa's uncharted territories, Mr. Kurtz was poisoned by the fangs of Africa. Coming there with his idealistic goals, he becomes bewitched by a society where rules do not matter. He discovers the ultimate truth of human darkness. True admiration should not stem from talented feats of prodigious nature but from the courage of doing something that no one else would ever fathom to accomplish. People are faced with constant fears, yet it is only the exceptional that face these fears point-blank that can rightfully call themselves as global citizens. The world is a dark place. Traveling through these infested territories is not only a test of courage but of faith that despite poverty, corruption, and political dissentions is a world crying out for change. Heeding that summons is the first step.

Global Citizenship encompasses beyond multiculturalism and the battles for peace. It is listening to what is beyond the seemingly melodious hymn of false hopes and accepting the reality that the world is anything but good. Obtaining one is an oath of service, a pledge of unwavering allegiance to one nation- the world.

*The ending sounds weak to me. How should I end it with a bang?
tjaworowski - / 1  
try and tie your intro into the end of the essay so the reader still remembers who you are.
Hey, that first paragraph is quite short, and it ends with a short sentence that raises an important question. I think you should add one more sentence to the end of that first para, and let it be your thesis sentence, the sentence that tries to capture the central truth of the whole essay.

Being a global citizen is concept often associated with defined with that sense of unselfish concern for the international community. ---- how about this way?

That last sentence of para #2 is beautiful...

Global Citizenship encompasses beyond more than multiculturalism and the battles for peace.

Okay, and whatever thesis sentence you add to paragraph one should also be expressed again in an additional sentence to lengthen the conclusion paragraph. It will be nice if you come up with a meaningful, memoraable phrase that is used both in the thesis sentence and the conclusion paragraph.

:-)
linmark 2 / 328 7  
You write about what global citizen means but what I am missing is what it means to YOU, how you see yourself being one? The prompt says the aim of the GW University Honors Program is to enable its students to become 'active global citizens

That could strengthen your essay and be the missing thread to tie the opening paragraph with the close, as Kevin says, "your thesis sentence, the sentence that tries to capture the central truth of the whole essay."

Home / Undergraduate / What is a GLOBAL CITIZEN? GWU SUPPLEMENT