"Graduated in Russia" - School of Business, Personal statement for UW admission

covva 1 / -  
Instructions (this is what they are looking for in personal statement):
Academic Elements (required) : * Academic History .
Your Major and/or Career Goals
Are you prepared to enter your intended major at this time? If not, describe your plans for preparing for the major. What led you to choose this major? If you are still undecided, why? What type of career are you most likely to pursue after finishing your education?

How will the UW help you attain your academic, career, and/or personal goals?
B. Personal Elements (required)
Cultural Understanding
Educational Challenges / Personal Hardships (if applicable)
Community, Military, or Volunteer Service (if applicable)
Experiential Learning (if applicable)

My personal statement:

I have always known an education is the best path to a brighter future. This is what my mother would always say and she is a big influence in my life.

After I graduated the high school in Vyazma - small province city in Russia, I had a hard time to decide what I want to do next. My parents are self employed and have a little business in my city of birth. I thought I can help them with work, because I understood that owning the business is always hard and requires a lot of time and efforts. I was working for my mother as a sales manager assistant, helping with the products supply for her little store and communications with the clients. I faced all the reality of Russian business, with corruption and officials bribes. It was really hard to understand that nobody will do anything for you just because it is their job, and you have to actually pay them for it anyhow. I liked some of the aspects of my job, and hated the others. Also, my mother was pushing me to get a degree in the university. I knew that she was right, but couldn't decide what I want. However, the life is not predictable and sometimes very difficult to guess what surprises it prepares for us. I was lucky to meet my old friend, who applied for work and travel program in the United States, and she recommended me to try. This is how I came to this country.

The environment and atmosphere here were totally different experience for me. During the first month, I could not stop being impressed by the enormous and vast opportunities this country offered to a person willing to work hard. This was a life-changing experience leading to a significant turn in my life. I decided to stay!

I did not have strong language skills and thus first three years I was practicing English, learning how to use credit cards and maintain the credit history, and all these things that American born knows since childhood. I understood that to get a degree I will have to start with college and later graduate from a university. I was taking pre-college level classes, mostly to boost my language skills. I would like to add here that the English language I learned in school in Russia and its practical application with the native speakers are significantly different. My first college in the United States was Highline Community College and it was a great, but challenging experience. I lacked understanding of educational system in the United States and had to learn everything from starch. Yet, by the end of second quarter I was on the Dean's List for my high scholastic achievements.

Another challenge on my education path was the choice of profession to pursue. You will notice that I have some college credits that I can not use for my chosen degree program. This is because I was taking classes to see what subjects I like the most. Also, before I made my choice, I knew that I want to transfer to the University of Washington, and get my bachelor's degree from this reputable institution. Soon I realized that I like numbers as much as I like to communicate with people - accounting and business communication were most interesting courses. Therefore, after several quarters I decided on Business Accounting program. This degree will give me the right skill set to take me into career in accounting profession. I want to work in accounting/audit company and eventually take the CPA exam to obtain a license and open my own audit firm. I transferred to Bellevue College, because I believed it has greater transfer programs and it was closer to my place after I moved.

My 5 years in the United States have been challenging, mostly because I'm here on my own and there is no support from my family. Once I have heard a story about a beautiful flower that was not being watered. It had to fight for survival. The struggle made its roots stronger and it finally blossomed into an even more beautiful flower. I believe that same is true with the people - the more challenging the live is, the more hardships we have to overcome, the better we are ready for the future challenges, and the more strength we have to survive in the world of strong competition.

One of my principles in life to finish what I begin. I'm ready for hard and interesting years at the university that will let me pursue my degree and interesting job whatsoever. I want my parents be proud of me, because I will be the first member of the family with higher education.

The University of Washington's Foster School of Business is a prestigious education institution known for its rigorous training program. I believe that a good carrier starts with a good school. This will be a place where I can face many additional challenges, and learn from excellent professors and the diverse student body. So that one day I can blossom into a professional worthy of reputation of the University of Washington.
...had a hard time deciding what ...---See the change I made? Do not write, "had a hard time to decide."

...I wanted to do next. My ...

...couldn't decide what I wanted.

I lacked understanding of the educational system

Great sentence here: One of my ...

... pursue my degree and an interesting job. whatsoever .

good carrier career starts with ...

:-) Good luck! They will know that you are a serious student when they read this.

Home / Undergraduate / "Graduated in Russia" - School of Business, Personal statement for UW admission