Greater Challenge/ I'm my sister's mother; Transfer Objectives/Extracurricular

x6karebear9o 3 / 7 1  
Please provide a statement (appr. 250-500 words) that addresses your reasons for transferring and the objectives you hope to achieve.
A second chance is an opportunity to redeem oneself and justify a past experience. My birth was my mother's second chance to fulfill her parent's dream of having a family member graduate from college. My life was built on second chances, but I aspire to be more than that. Upon moving to America, I quickly picked up English and excelled in school. I thrived of the attention and praise I got for being a faster learner. I challenged myself by learning more than what was expected and thus, my thirst for knowledge began. I spent most of my childhood with my nose inside books and took pride in my drive for excellence.

My ambitions were rewarded with a scholarship for a private high school education. I had the opportunity to learn with and from those who possessed my same thirst for knowledge. As part of the Ross School's holistic global curriculum, students have the opportunity to travel around the world to gain various cultural perspectives and foster a higher level of consciousness. However, as an illegal immigrant, my integration was limited to the confines of the classroom. I did not have the same advantages; therefore I had to work harder in order to succeed.

My status limited my finances and inhibited my opportunities; therefore community college was my only option at the time. Suffolk County Community College (SCCC) was as a means to prove my dedication towards a rigorous education. The Honor's Program at SCCC provides smaller classes and engaging professors to create an invigorating learning experience. The strong relationships I developed with my professors and advisors fostered my intellectual curiosity. Maintaining a 4.0 GPA in the most difficult classes with the hardest professors was not enough. During my first year, I was secretary of the Honors Club, joined Phi Theta Kappa, and was awarded the Honors Foundation Full-Tuition Scholarship. During my second year, I became the Vice-President of the Honors Club and was appointed the eastern leader of the Global Citizens Corporation program. Upon graduating from SCCC and the Honor's Program, I was presented with the Academic Excellence and Service Award.

I refuse to settle with an Associates Degree because my thirst for knowledge is far from sated. I am ready to embark on a greater challenge at an institution with the quality of education to which I am devoted. The principles of a first-rate education are my principles. My second chances have increased my admiration for those will stop at nothing to fulfill their dreams. Being surrounded by these like-minded people will provide me with the strength I require to triumph in your stimulating academic atmosphere. It is with the guidance from those who possess similar passions that I will excel in my quest for enlightenment. I will prove that I am more than an embodiment of a dream come true.

Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (1000 character maximum).

A mother is the person who loves unconditionally, cares excessively, and nurtures profoundly. I am, without hesitation, my sister's mother. I set high expectations for myself because I want to be someone she can idolize with pride. She is my motivation to create a bountiful future for the generations to come. My responsibilities include: cooking, feeding, cleaning, teaching, bathing, sleeping, playing, etc. The only difference between my sister and the other children I work with is that, with my sister, there is no quitting or breaks because it is a full-time, lifelong commitment. Having worked with children for over nine years has taught me that they are phenomenal teachers. Children have mastered humility, sincerity, the art of dreaming, and the appreciation of beauty and simplicity. They foster some of the most rewarding experiences life has to offer. Children have inspired me to be a better, stronger, and happier person. My sister has shown me that love is powerful enough to make you believe the impossible.

I'm also considering adding this to the additional information part of the Common App. Any suggestions?

Additional: Please upload a document here if you wish to provide details of circumstances or qualifications not reflected in the application.
Halfway through my sophomore year of high school, I was detained by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security on a school trip to the Virgin Islands. I was allowed to fly back with a pending order of deportation. May 2012, I graduated from Suffolk County Community College (SCCC) with an Honors Diploma and Associates in Liberal Arts. However, unlike my fellow graduates eager to transfer for the next semester, I was still dealing with the legal system. I wanted to be able to take full advantage of the next school I would attend, so I decided to postpone my education until I resolved my legal problems.

Upon graduating from SCCC, I was offered the unique opportunity to work at Pepalajefa, a European gourmet shop. Culinary arts have been a passion of mine from a young age. I learned the ins and outs of operating and opening a food establishment from start to finish. As assistant manager, I was charged with scheduling, payroll, training, hiring, ordering, inventory, advertising, graphic design, and public relations. My work schedule entailed working over eighty hours a week in the summer. My front-of-house duties included advising and informing on European gourmet and catering. My culinary duties included developing recipes, creating daily menus, and translating across cultures between the owners and the staff.

I closed up the shop for the winter just in time for the interview that would determine the fate of my status in this country. My high school sweetheart and I had gotten married during my first semester at SCCC. Our story of young love did not meet the standards of matrimony according to modern society. We hoped that the truth would be enough to extinguish all the red flags and prove our good faith marriage. Five minutes into the interview and tears had welled in my eyes, my body was limp, and I was speechless. All I heard was, "Your marriage is out of the ordinary, but your history proves you deserve this. Congratulations and I know you will make my country proud. Merry Christmas." Then I fainted. My green card came in the mail during the first month of the 2013.

The newfound freedom to roam without fear was invigorating. I explored ten states in one month with only a backpack and a high-soaring spirit. When I landed back home, I knew I was ready to take control of my career and exploit my new circumstances. I had spent one year outside of the academic realm in order to secure my place in the biggest and most exclusive group of all. I am coming back to the academic realm stronger and more willing to fight endlessly for aspirations because I am officially a part of the American Dream.
OP x6karebear9o 3 / 7 1  
I'm not sure if it flows well or if it is appropriate for these types of questions.
Well.... I feel this sounds like a too personal experience for you to have the answer for your above prompt. It strictly does not fall under the category of extracurricular activity or work experience. I have doubts about this answer; for me, it sounds a bit inappropriate :( .... Don't you have more relevant work experience or some extracurricular activity?
OP x6karebear9o 3 / 7 1  
I wanted my extracurricular activity/work experience to be personal so that it would come off as something I am passionate about. Would emphasizing the fact that I work as a babysitter/nanny be more appropriate?

Home / Undergraduate / Greater Challenge/ I'm my sister's mother; Transfer Objectives/Extracurricular