'grew up in a small Conservative community in Kingston, Jamaica' - UC 1

breakingRenee 5 / 11  
Describe the world you come from - for example your family, community or school community an tell how this world has shaped your dream and aspiration.

I grew up in a small Conservative community in Kingston, Jamaica with less than 500 people residing. In my community life to me is very mundane but I have always dreamed there was more to life. I dreamed of a place where I could be who I was without fear of alienation or not being accepted by those around me. Inspired by Gandhi's famous quote "You must be the change you want to see in the world" I decided that I would be that change. I realized then that I had to be the example for others to follow.

From then on I became the odd girl in my community as the older I grew the more I began to stray from their beliefs. I began to see that the world wasn't as black and white as I thought instead it was rather multicolored. After having this epiphany I could no longer hide who I really was no matter the consequences.

My family has always been a source of strength to me. Despite them not always agreeing with my beliefs and lifestyle they have always been supportive of me. So it is no surprise that they have a huge influence on my life. Their support has always given me the motivation I need to be successful. Just knowing that no matter what I decide to do with my life or who I turn out to be they will always have my back encourages me to be the best person I can be. Knowing that they believe in me keeps me going, even when I feel like giving up. Knowing that all their hopes and dreams rest on me pushes me harder than anything else to achieve my dream.

I want to be not only the first person in my family but the first person in my community to go to college. I want to show them that being different is not an obstacle, it won't prevent you from achieving your goals. I want to show every person who has ever been bullied for who they are that it's okay to be yourself But most of all I want my family to know just how much their support has meant to me over the years by showing them the rewards of their efforts.
danny411 /  
HI

good start but is ghandi from your world. i think they want more of your personal experiences. i think this is a better essay;

THESIS; i want to be the first in my family to go to college to inspire other people to follow their dreams and to overcome obstacles

-to teach others to follow their dreams

-inspire others to overcome obstacles

Home / Undergraduate / 'grew up in a small Conservative community in Kingston, Jamaica' - UC 1