"Growth is essential to a happy and productive life" - Chicago: Extended Essay

bbish520 8 / 30  
Please help proofread! thanks!

Prompt: In the interest of adventurous inquiry, pose a question of your own. If your prompt is original and thoughtful, then you should have little trouble writing a great essay. Draw on your best qualities as a writer, thinker, visionary, social critic, sage, citizen of the world, or future citizen of the University of

Chicago; take a little risk and have fun.

One will never stop growing throughout his or her life. It doesn't matter if it's necessary or not, one can't stop it. New things are learned every single day without our acknowledgement until one day we look back and realize how much we've grown. Struggles that we face and errors that we make help us grow to who we are. Not only do we grow by ourselves, the societies do too. Although growth usually happens through struggle and mistakes, growth is utterly necessary for a happy and productive life.

By reviewing the experiences that a person has gone through, how they have dealt of them and how they have led them to where he or she is to this day can determine if he or she had a happy and productive life. Many believe that the meaning of life is just having enough food, drink and somewhere to sleep as a way to survive but it is not so. As humans, we have the ability to better ourselves through learning. These lessons, not needing to be in the sense of academics, make us grow into ourselves. The more we learn, the better our life would be. For example, my aunt, who lives in Hong Kong, has gone through her ups and downs. Gone from working as a bank clerk to being a district manager at Prudential, and owning various real estate throughout Hong Kong, she keeps updating herself with classes of English and Mandarin. If she didn't make the effort of bettering herself then she would still be a bank clerk, her life wouldn't be as happy and productive as now.

Obviously, what is applied to one person can't be applied to the whole population. China, being one of the leading countries of this world, wouldn't have been in the position that's in right now if they haven't tried to improve themselves, to grow in all aspect. Every time we look at a label we mostly see that it's made in China. Even though this proves that China has many factories which can employ many people it doesn't mean that the life in China is the best. Many people only earn around $150 a month which is next to nothing compare to people in the United States but if China didn't make the effort to grow, to attract these companies to open their factories there these people wouldn't even have those $150 a month to live on. Without this growth, the lives of those people would be worst but with this growth the people are able to live happily and productively.

For many, growth is defined as learning new things from different experience. These lessons can help us grow into who we are. Being who we are, we set our own goals. If life is just based on the need of food, water and shelter then it would be so much easier. Although it would be easier, it wouldn't be productive because we won't have the drive to reach our goals and without goals there is no meaning in learning, no meaning in growing. Growth is essential to a happy and productive life because through struggles and mistake we realize how great our life is, it makes us appreciate it more.
alexis brandon 17 / 44  
you took a risk coming up with your own topic rather than answering one of the given questions and I think UChicago will like that. However, this essay does not much relate to you as a person. You need to talk about how you have grown as a person rather than the growth of your aunt and China. Also you repeat a lot of things in this essay. I think if you add yourself to the essay it will be better.

Can you take a look at my BU essay?
Anonymoussenior 17 / 133  
By reviewing the experiences that a person has gone through, how they have dealt with them, and how they have led them

to where he or she isthey are to this day can

Many believe that the meaning of life is just having enough food, drink and somewhere to sleep, but it

The more we learn, the better our life wouldwill be.

GoneShe went from working as a bank clerk to

If she didn't make the effort tobetter herself then she would still be a bank clerk, her life wouldn't be as happy and productive as now.

the position that it is in right now if they haven't

Even though this proves that China has many factories, which can employ many people

Not only in terms of physical appearance, but also in the

Nothing should be taken for granted, especially love.

Theis is better than the first version. Please read my UChicago essay as well.
OP bbish520 8 / 30  
Thanks so much Courtney and Kelsey!

Anyone else please??
swoosh18 4 / 40  
If life is just based on the need of food, water and shelter then it would be so much easier. Although it would be easier, it wouldn't be productive because we would not have the drive to reach our goals and.W ithout goals there is no point in learning or growing. Growth is essential to a happy and productive life because through struggles and mistakes we realize how great our lives areand learn to appreciate them more.

Please read my essay, too. Thanks!
verom0812 2 / 6  
Dear Wai,
I did not see grammatical errors, maybe because am nit very good at it. Still I really liked your essay, and the focus you gave to it.

Thanks for checking my essay. It will be helpfull if you check my other one.

Sincerely,
Vero

Home / Undergraduate / "Growth is essential to a happy and productive life" - Chicago: Extended Essay