I'm the HongKonger in China

miz_christy 1 / 1  

my identity

"Chinese" and "Hongkongese" are the two major identities for me to consider to be meaningful. Why do I haven't two identities? No doubt that we have differences socio-demographic characteristics and a different attitude toward the Chinese Government. Yet, we are similar in supporting traditional Chinese values and same identification in the ethnic and historical sense. Therefore, I'm the HongKonger in China.

Ethnic identity is important for me. After "the umbrella revolution" in 2014, so many people would say they are HongKongese, not Chinese. However, they are no conflict. We are both Chinese and Hong Kongese.

In the journal, I would like to use nationality and sovereignty to explain why am I a HongKonger in China.
For the nationality, I agree that I'm an Ethnic Chinese. There are 3 directions to explain we are both Ethnic Chinese, body feature, geography, and culture.

From the body feature, both of us are yellow skin, black eyes, black hair. Yes, it doesn't mean I'm a citizen of China but both of us are the same body feature. In geography, Hong Kong is located in China. There is not a doubt that China is our country, Hong Kong is a part of the city in China. Furthermore, in culture, both of us are using chopsticks, celebrating the same festivals, such as Mid-Autumn, Lunar Near Year etc. And we would use Chinese to communicate and writing. Based on those reasons, Chinese is the main element to construct Hong Kong people's identity. It means "Chinese" position is in front of "HongKong". Taking Shanghai people as an example, Shanghai is a part of China. They can say they are Chinese ShangHainese.

For the sovereignty, Hong Kong policy is under the principle of "one country, two systems" we can use our rights and law to protect our society although Hong Kong was returned to China in 1997. We do not need to follow the China rules. It is the main reason that we are different from Chinese.

In conclusion, from the nationality, we are same as the people's republic of China. For the sovereignty, it showed there are some different rules. However, we can accept the multi-identities. Both of us our Hongkonger in China.
Christy, you have a problem with verb usage and meaning. It is mostly related to the way that you use the word "have" in your essay. In the opening paragraph, you cannot say "Why do I haven't two identities?". Since the earlier sentences discussed the fact that you do have 2 identities, the proper question is "Why do I have 2 identities?" as the word "haven't" means "to not have". If you meant that you don't have 2 identities then you should have said "Why don't I have 2 identities?". In the second paragraph, the term "The Umbrella Revolution" describes the historical name of an event and should be capitalized as that indicates a proper noun reference. You cannot say, "They are no conflict" because you are referring to a situation. Hence, "there should be no conflict." There is the proper term to use because you are not discussing a person but rather a situation.

Christy, in all honesty, there are so many grammatical mistakes in this essay that I would have to rewrite the whole essay for you in order to point out and correct all of the mistakes. Unfortunately, that is not my job. I can only advise you regarding the fact that you need to work on developing your grammar skills. Right now, your problem with verb usage is what I think you need to focus on. Inform your tutor that you need to learn how to properly use the past, present, and future tense of English words. Additionally, you need to learn how to develop a sentence that has a clear subject and verb presentation.

These are the starter points for your English learning adjustment notes. Make sure that you pay attention to these problems and have your teacher or whoever is helping you to learn how to read, write, and speak in English assist you in developing your English skills. At the moment, this is not even a passing beginner presentation in English.
OP miz_christy 1 / 1  
thanks for your comment. I will revise it again.

Home / Undergraduate / I'm the HongKonger in China