The impact of data science on Oil and Gas Industry (a PTDF personal statement)

Tarhywoe 1 / 1  
PTDF personal statement

The Oil and gas industry is lagging behind in the use of data for more profitable and efficient production; for data to be a true asset, it must be identified, aggregated, stored, analyzed and perfected hence, the need for data scientists and analysts. The Nigeria oil and gas industry provides more than 90% of the country's export and 80% of the government revenue hence the need to optimize production and increase performances across board. As a graduate of Mathematics, i developed a fascination towards data which prompt me to secure a job as a data enter officer; during these period, i have tried to better myself attending online courses on data analysis which has enlightened and broaden my horizon as to the need for data analysts and scientists in all sector for improved performances. This fascination of mine turned passion has fuelled my interest to apply for the Petroleum Technology Development Fund(PTDF) scholarship to obtain a masters (MSc) degree in Data Science at the University of Salford.

I am particularly keen to study at the University of Salford because they meet my criteria. Firstly, their methodology of teaching includes 50% of practical projects and 50% examination which will prepare students for real life problem solving skills as a data scientist. Secondly, the course modules include data analytics, data mining, advanced database which I find invaluable to my career development as a data scientist. Lastly, the school has a long standing and existing relationship with Nigerian students to the extent of having an office in Lagos, Nigeria.

With data science in the oil and gas industry, recent research shows that data gathered from drilling can be applied to conduct various analyses from scheduling to drilling operations thereby improving drilling performance. Also, in production engineering, big data analytics can optimize the performance of production pumps while it can also manage risks and enhance safety by improving oil and gas occupational safety. From my past experience as a data entry officer, studying data science at the University of Salford will provide me the technical skills needed to predict and guide the nation's oil and gas sector into the future of the industry, if given the chance. The future of oil and gas industry lies with data science and i believe with the right minds, we can move the nation forward.

In terms of national development, data science can help predict and utilise majority of the natural gas which is being flared off subsequently enhancing the output of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) for the masses. Also, with its predictions, oil production capacity can be optimised, improving the export capacity of the nation as well as increasing the government revenue. Applying advanced analytics and artificial intelligence provides oil and gas industry the ability to identify trends and predict events throughout processes which will enable quick response to disruption and improve efficiencies.

From PTDF objectives, this scholarship would boost my career development and as the saying goes, "data is just like crude; it is valuable, but if unrefined it cannot be put to good use". I aim to impact the Nigerian Oil and Gas industry through data science in whatever capacity I can when i get back from my postgraduate studies. On this note, i look forward to a successful application and commencing my academic career at the University of Salford as a PTDF scholar.
because they meet my criteria.

The university may meet your criteria, but that is not the point of this motivation letter. How do YOU meet the student requirements of the university? What makes you a stand out candidate? There is nothing impressive about your almost non-existent academic background. The professional background does not contain any information of note regarding your professional performance and future academic / career aims either. This is a lackluster application if I have ever seen one.

The job responsibility of a data encoder is based soley on entering information into a database. There is no science involved in the job responsibility or requirement. Therefore, the applicant is over reaching with his application ambitions. The vague discussion of his online classes do not prove to be of any merit in relation to the motivation for studies and qualifications. The applicant's motivation is vague at the most and lacking a definitive application to either SDG goals or improvement of the oil and gas industry in Nigeria. The motivation letter is weak and forgettable at the most.
OP Tarhywoe 1 / 1  
Thank you for the review, working on a new draft with the corrections in mind

Home / Undergraduate / The impact of data science on Oil and Gas Industry (a PTDF personal statement)