Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

The Importance of Freddie Wong in my Life- UT Austin Personal Essay 1

jmike 2 / 4  
Hey everyone this is my first time posting on this website and I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on the essay below. Thanks so much!

One day while searching the internet, I came across a Youtube channel called FreddieW. This channel, which is created by Freddie Wong, is full of over one hundred action and visual effects ridden videos. Little did I know that this channel was going to way more than entertain me, it was going to inspire me.

From watching Freddie's videos, I learned that you don't have to go through hollywood to make it in the film industry. Two years ago, Freddie started his Youtube career. When he started, he didn't have much. He didn't have any Hollywood connections or much of a budget, but what he did have was a camera and a idea. His ideas turned into weekly videos, which then turned into a following of over two million people. By becoming so successful, Hollywood actors have began to recognize him and his talents. Famous actors and directors have began watching his videos and even appearing in them. Knowing he can succeed and make a living online, Freddie has stated that he has little interest in making feature films or TV shows. He does though plan on continuing to make online content. By becoming so popular, Freddie is leading an exciting new frontier of online content. He hopes he can continue to help carve out the future look of the online world.

I have always enjoyed making videos, but watching Freddie's videos really impacted and changed my life. Before I started watching his videos, I had always wanted to become an engineer like my father. When I did begin to watch Freddie's videos, I saw the cool effects he could do with a computer, and I saw the master piece he could shoot with his camera. All of his videos mesmerized me and really made me want to become a director. My dream of directing Hollywood movies though began to fade, when I found out how hard it is to break into Hollywood. Thousands of people try each and every year, only to fail and I did not want to fail. Right when I was about to give up my dream, Freddie hit the peak of his career. He was doing interviews on TV and meeting famous actors and directors. During all of the interviews Freddie would say that he did not need Hollywood and that he wanted to start a new world, a world where online video content would be just as good, if not better than Hollywood movies. This really reignited my interest in directing again, because this new world gives all aspiring filmmakers a better chance of making it big. Sure they may never direct Hollywood movies, but Freddie hasn't either and he has done pretty well for himself. I never though that a film maker would be so important in my life or make such a big impact, but Freddie has done just that. He has shown me that if you can't get what you want, just make something better, which is exactly what he has done with the online video world. I can only hope that one day my videos can inspire people like Freddie and his videos have inspired me.

Home / Undergraduate / The Importance of Freddie Wong in my Life- UT Austin Personal Essay 1