Home / Undergraduate % width   Posts: 2

importance of friendship - UBC Personal Profile - What's important to you

strawberrymilk 2 / 2  
I'm hoping to apply to UBC and I would like some opinions on this written response.
The prompt was "What is important to you and why?" Any help on this would be great thanks!

It was through the pandemic that I realized the importance of friendship. I was struggling with anxiety about the future and felt disconnected from the world, as most of us might have felt back then. I lost my direction in life, which affected my mental health and I began isolating myself from my friends and family. I did not know who to talk to because of my fear of judgement from others for seeming weak. I received a text one day from my friend telling me to open the door. Walking out, I saw her standing in my front yard holding a giant paper bag. Turns out she had trekked half an hour in the burning sun just to come deliver me snacks that my friends prepared to cheer me up, which may not seem like much, but that small gesture meant the world to me. It made me feel cared for and less alone. Gathering up courage, I opened up to her about my struggles. After that day, we would meet up to take a walk around the neighbourhood every weekend. It was our way of supporting one another through tough times. Through that experience, I am now able to empathize with others going through the same thing and be there for them the way my friends did for me. I have gone through ups and downs since then, but fortunately I was able to find a community both in and out of school that inspires me and gives me space to be vulnerable without judgement. That is why I value my friends so much; because we encourage each other to be better humans even at our worst.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15248  
I would not change anything about your response to the prompt. It is important to discuss how your mental health was affected by the pandemic. Specially since it almost led you to an isolated existence. The way that you discussed how your friends were there for you, and how you appreciated and reciprocated their acts of friendship and kindness shows a depth of maturity that is expected of a college student. This is a great way to prove that you are ready for any problems that college will throw your way and that you are open to receiving help from others even though you do not notice that you need it. It is insightful and leaves the reviewer with a good impression of who you are and the character type that you have.

Home / Undergraduate / importance of friendship - UBC Personal Profile - What's important to you
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: