"innovations about nanotech, solar cells, and robot" - Cornell engineering

andygu 6 / 14  
Post:decribe your interest or idea in engineering, and how can cornell helps you?

I always got fascinated with innovations about nanotech, solar cells, and robot. Though jargons or functions often puzzled me, I could pour myself on higher-level math, physics, and search the websites like IEEE, Science Direct until I fully understand. After absorbing a new technique or idea, I grew more confident and excited that if given materials and equipments, I could make something real.

It was not until I joined a group researching on Smart Dust that I realized how simple my fancies about engineering had been. I began to understand it was not just having an idea, but turning the idea into reality; not working alone to design something funny, but collaborating to address pressing real-world problems.

I researched on Smart Dust with a team in China Telecom. It was a simple idea: a wireless network of tiny (nano-scale) sensors. But when we took its impact on our life, and its market value into consideration, we found the idea much more challenging. We had to figure out how to reduce power-consumption, size and cost, how to connect the tiny computer (the core of Smart Dust) to the outside world etc.

Everyday a bunch of problems arose. So we need to divide our work, everyone should focus on one problem and then integrate his solutions into our final design. I remembered it took a lot of effort for me and another member to figure out that the distance a common radio links allow a dust to transmit was 3 to 61 meters. In the process, we had to learn how to receive and detect signals, and how to decrease the errors. We just could not just sit before the computer and understood the whole things.

I dream to pursue my interest in nanotechnology further by studying in nanotechnology and aerospace fields. To become an engineer who can address problems arising in mankind's exploration of universe, I need an education with depth and breadth. And I need to learn from top researchers in these fields and collaborate with talented peers with the same dream. Cornell, the world-class research university, can offer me all of these.

Cornell is home to more than 100 interdisciplinary centers, institutes, laboratories and programs that support research. I love Cornell for her adventurous, but practical spirit, and her focus on teamwork and innovation. Discovery stretches across disciplines. With collaboration between different departments, top-notch researchers have made the Exploration of Mars and Carbon Nanotube Devices a reality here.

But realizing my dream requires more than technical expertise and collaboration with others. Hands-on experiences are important too. By joining the Kessler Fellows Program, a work-study program which combines educational and employment components, I can learn how to make technological innovations marketable, and the impact of my work on the community. Also, the Communication Engineering Program can sharpen my communication and analytical thinking skills.

So even if I choose a path unrelated with my major, I can address the opportunities and challenges of life and work as a critical thinker and flexible doer.

Can you guys please help me check some errors, or point out which part see weird or hard to understand, because as an international student, I'm not good at writing. Thanks a lot!
Pluralize "robots"
...nanotech, solar cells, and robots . Though jargon and functions often puzzled me, I could pour

We just could not just just sit before the computer and understood understand the whole process .

I like the ending, and I like all the specific details you included. They show that you are someone who has given a lot of thought to your future.

Here is an idea: if you add one sentence to the intro paragraph and include a memorable phrase that will become the THEME for your essay... and then repeat that memorable phrase at the end of the essay... it will make it so that the reader associates that theme with you, and it will make her remember you.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "innovations about nanotech, solar cells, and robot" - Cornell engineering