Inspirtaion to pursue engineering- U of T Essay- This opportunity means the world to me

ElmYew 1 / 1  
This is my U of T SPF Engineering Essay- It exceeds the character limit so suggestions to shorten the length are welcome! Also I feel as if I need a stronger conclusion.

What has inspired you to pursue an engineering degree and why would you like to study at the University of Toronto?
What skills have you developed through your extra-curricular experiences that will support your future success as both a student and an engineer?
Character limit: 3000

My inspiration to pursue an engineering degree began in grade eight when I was encouraged by a teacher to join the science team. After participating in science competitions I realized that I had a passion for problem solving, innovating and creating. Those qualities combined with my interests in math and science made it clear that engineering is the perfect degree for me. Also coming from a family of many engineers and seeing how passionate they were about their studies encouraged me even more to attain an engineering degree. Engineering not only attracts me because of its combination of creative problem solving with math and science, but I believe that I have developed skills will allow me to be a successful engineering student.

Throughout high school I have been heavily involved in extra-curricular activities. I have dedicated many hours in varsity sports, intramurals, clubs and a competitive track team. Participating in these extra-curricular activities taught me invaluable skills that can only be learned beyond a classroom. Determination, time management, responsibility, communication and team work are examples of the skills I have developed through my extra-curricular experiences. Engineering is a rigorous path that requires an excellent work ethic to be successful. I am confident that having developed skills such as determination, time management and responsibility will allow me to achieve academic success as an engineering student. Furthermore, being an engineer is more than having a vast amount of knowledge; it also requires having great communication and team work skills. As a member of the Conversation Club, I developed communication skills as I mentored international students attending my school. Participating in many varsity sports also allowed me to develop team-working skills will be necessary when working with my peers. The combination of these skills that I have developed through extra-curricular experiences will surely support my future as a student and an engineer and I believe that the University of Toronto will lead me to the most success as an engineering student.

I would like to study engineering at the University of Toronto because of the unique opportunities available to the students both in and out of the classroom. For example, University of Toronto students have the option to choose an engineering minor. This is a valuable opportunity that I would like to take advantage of because it will allow me to earn extra credentials as well as study more of my interests. Also, as a student that will be commuting to and from school, I am confident that the University of Toronto will provide me with an intimate university experience. With the countless extra-curricular activities opportunities that Skule offers engineering students I know that I will be able to be involved with the school and interact with many of my peers.

Since joining my eighth grade science team I have developed many skills that will grant me success in my future, but my passion for creative problem solving combined with my interest in math and science has continued to inspire and motivate me to pursue an engineering degree. I believe that the University of Toronto is the best place for me to dedicate my studies to engineering because of their unique studying opportunities as well as their tight-knit community and Engineering Society Traditions.

Characters: 3394
My inspiration to pursue an engineering degree began in grade eight when I was encouraged by a teacher to join the science team. After participating in science competitions I realized that I had a passion for problem solving, innovating and creating. Those qualities combined with my interests in math and science made it clear that engineering is the perfect degree for me.

... This section lacks creativity :( ... These sound like statements you made without much commitment. Talk through real life examples, events etc. So that the reader would be convinced about your passion for engineering. I think you need to re-do this part.

It exceeds the character limit so suggestions to shorten the length are welcome! Also I feel as if I need a stronger conclusion.

Ok, let's attend to this;

Throughout high school I have been heavily involved in extra-curricular activities.

I actively participated in extra-curricular activities in high school .

I have dedicated many hours in varsity sports, intramurals, clubs and a competitive track team.

.... Here too you need to be more specific :(

Home / Undergraduate / Inspirtaion to pursue engineering- U of T Essay- This opportunity means the world to me