Intersection of the Language and Mind - "Why NYU?" Supplement

kc1099 6 / 21 2  
Prompt: We would like to know more about your interest in NYU. We are particularly interested in knowing what motivated you to apply to NYU and more specifically, why you have applied or expressed interest in a particular campus, school, college, program, and/or area of study? If you have applied to more than one, please tell us why you are interested in each of the campuses, schools, colleges, or programs to which you have applied. You may be focused or undecided, or simply open to the options within NYU's global network; regardless, we want to understand - Why NYU? (400 word maximum)

Some background: I applied to NYU's College of Arts and Sciences and chose "Language and Mind" as my major. The only campus I expressed interest in was the New York City campus.

neuroscience - my first passion

My first academic love is neuroscience. Learning about how the nervous system works, from its first sensory signal to its last elucidation of the sensory message, fascinates me. As a proud quadrilingual, learning about languages is another of love of mine. Besides immersing myself in the different tones, accents, and connotations that each language entails, I am intrigued by the the role and development of language in itself. Spoken word, though intrinsic and second nature to human beings, is a fairly complex method of communication. How did humans develop such an intricate way of interacting from one another--from the caveman's grunt to his very first word of fire? Why does this communication vary between different regions and cultures of the world, and why are these variations so drastic? Linguistics has always been something that made me think.

In my college search, I look for a program that would allow me to pursue both my passions for neuroscience and linguistics. None has a program that fit my interests as perfectly as NYU. The College of Arts and Sciences offers the Language and Mind major, an interdisciplinary approach to understanding the human brain by looking at language. Not only can I to continue studying the disciplines that intrigue me, but I can also learn about other subjects that I've never been exposed to. Psychology and Philosophy, for instance, are two disciplines sewn into the fabric of the LAMD major, and two opportunities for me to grow as an intellectual. I see myself taking courses like Sound and Language, Language and Society, and Language and Mind. Through these integrative classes, I can begin to understand the interplay between culture, speech sounds and variations, and the brain's differentiation of these sounds to ultimately communicate.

I hope to continue conducting research in college, and at NYU, I have no doubt that I will be exposed to a multitude of opportunities to do so. The Neurolinguistics Lab and Neuroscience of Language Lab, for example, both center around studying the neural bases of language-research that's immensely applicable to my interests. I can see myself learning how to use Magnetoencephalography to electrically map brain activity with the help of Dr. Pylkkanen, or collecting data from the MEG system with Dr. Poeppel. With a plethora of opportunities in the world's most exciting city, I'm confident that I will blossom both as a scientist and thrive as thinker at NYU.
vinhnguyen0718 2 / 6 1  
@kc1099
Great and genuine essay overall. If I were the adcom, I would be surprised at how well-prepared you are when it comes to doing research in NYU, and also, you knowledge about the field "I can see myself learning how to use Magnetoencephalography to electrically map brain activity".

It would be great if you try to shorten down the first paragraph. It provides insight into your interest; however, this is a "Why X?", so I think you should let the adcom see the how well you and NYU fit. I think the 2 last para sufficiently answer that question. Just make it shorter to last longer in adcom's impression
OP kc1099 6 / 21 2  
@vinhnguyen0718
Thank you for the suggestions. Should I remove some of my thoughts/rhetoric questions regarding linguistics? Would this make the essay flow less, or is it better for the overall length/understanding of the essay? Thanks
vinhnguyen0718 2 / 6 1  
@kc1099
Yes, I think you should. If this is an PS, it will help.
I think it you could stop at "...development of language in itself."
It would be more centered
Kevin, in the last paragraph, you make mention of wishing to continue doing research at NYU. It would be in the best interest of your essay if you could expand upon that discussion. It is imperative that you share what kind of previous research you have accomplished and then give an example of what topic or research question you intend to pursue at NYU using their cutting edge resources. More importantly, you need to be able to justify your interest in shadowing these 2 professors in particular. Is that interest based upon your own research or the research of the professors that you feel can tie in directly with the research work that you want to pursue as a student? Once you clarify those points, the essay should have a stronger foundation and line of reasoning to justify your choice of university.

Home / Undergraduate / Intersection of the Language and Mind - "Why NYU?" Supplement