Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Invention" and "Outcome" Question: PolyTechnic

Kachan 1 / -  
Tell us about a time when something did not work out as you had hoped and how you dealt with it. Could you have changed the outcome if you have done things differently?

There are several times when things have not worked out as I had hoped, but the event that I remember the most is when I tried to complete my first school project in sixth grade alone without the aid of my parents. The project was to make a diagram of the Egyptian pyramids and the Nile River using paper, soil, and cardboard. I was able to easily make the pyramids and the Nile River out of paper, but the gluing the soil on the cardboard was hectic. Dirt got all over my white floors and afterwords, my mom told me to clean up the mess. I was frustrated but knew that the results could have been worse. After cleaning, I came to the conclusion that maybe applying the soil to the project outside would be easier because I didn't need to worry about getting in trouble with my parents and cleaning up the dirt.

If you could invent something that would help others, what would it be? How would you tackle doing this?

In the United States today, there are reportedly over six million car accidents each year. One of the easiest ways to get into an accident is by getting into a blind spot while driving. A blind spot is when an object is in a driver's view and she or he is unable to use the aid of the vehicle's mirrors. My invention will simply be a regular car with invisible motion sensor lasers installed on each side of the car and will help the driver know when to turn by verbally telling him/her that the road is clear and it is okay to proceed. The first step to take is to research on the most affective spots on the car to install the motion sensors and how the device will act and respond. Next, I will produce the product and experiment it on my own for several months. Once successful, I will introduce the idea to a major car industry such as Ford, BMW, and Toyota. If the car company does not agree with my idea, I will bring my idea to smaller companies that does agree and grow from there.

If there is any different answer ideas you could think of for either, please post!
Thank you!

Home / Undergraduate / "Invention" and "Outcome" Question: PolyTechnic