My junior year - "This is it. Chemistry is going to be my major." But then I changed my mind...

user23 1 / -  
Describe the unique qualities that attract you to the specific undergraduate College or School (including preferred admission and dual degree programs) to which you are applying at the University of Michigan. How would that curriculum support your interests?

Here is my essay response. Please tell me what you think and feel free to suggest edits.

Entering into my senior year, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I got to college. I took AP Chemistry my junior year and thought, " This is it. Chemistry is going to be my major." However, taking AP Biology made me realize that I may be just as interested in biology as I am in chemistry. This is where the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) comes into play. The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts will allow me to explore both chemistry and biology along with numerous other science fields both inside and outside of the classroom. The college will also allow me to explore my interest in seeing what the rest of the world has to offer.

Recently, I've realized that it's more important to focus on what kind of career I would like to have rather than to be so fixated on what major I would like to pursue. The one thing I know for sure, however, is that I would like to be a research scientist. The College of Literature, Science and the Arts will allow me explore the natural sciences through field and lab research. This will help me determine whether I would like to be a biologist, a chemist, or even a biochemist. In addition, the College of LSA's rigorous curriculum requires that students take classes not only in their preferred major, but in other subjects as well so I will have the opportunity to explore these numerous science fields without being tied down to a single major. This approach by the College of LSA shows that they understand most students don't know what exactly they would like to be and that allowing them to explore multiple fields and subjects of study will help them find a career path that focuses on their interests and passions. This approach also shows that it's important for students to learn about other subjects rather than specialize in just one area of study.

Another unique quality of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts that attracts me is their emphasis on traveling and studying abroad. The Global Intercultural Experience for Undergraduates (GIEU) is a program that allows you to travel to another country and learn about a culture from the people in that community. I have always been interested in traveling the world and GIEU will allow me to do that all the while studying. In addition to learning about the culture, this program is a great way to help those in need by working on community projects that will ultimately benefit both the communities and the students.

The University of Michigan's College of Literature, Science, and the Arts will help me reach my unique potential by allowing me to explore various fields of study and travel to another country to learn about another culture. I truly believe that this college is a great place to start the rest of my life.
@user23, junior year is one of the crucial years, this is where you have to be very decisive and make every step count as an addition to that specific goal that you want to achieve. Now, to ease a few of your struggles, I'd like to help in critically and objectively gong thru your essay.

- TheO ne thing I know for sure,
- however, is that I would like...
- This approach also showslet's
- that it's important forthe students see the importance in
- toof learning about

-...and the Arts that attractsinterest me is their...

This is my contribution and I hope they help. I believe the only concern I have is just the word input in the places that other words can be used, it's fun to play with words, just make sure that the places are right.

Home / Undergraduate / My junior year - "This is it. Chemistry is going to be my major." But then I changed my mind...