Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'kids that were misguided' - Rutgers

corbin400 1 / -  
Hi I would like help with my Rutgers Undergrad Admissions Essay:
Required Essay: Rutgers University is a vibrant community of people with a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. How would you benefit from and contribute to such an environment? Consider variables such as your talents, travels, leadership activities, volunteer services, and cultural experiences. Only personal essays submitted via our website will be considered. You may enter a maximum of 3800 characters including spaces.

Here is my essay thank you!

Growing up in eastern North Carolina where many families (particularly minorities) are living in poverty, I became familiar with many kids that were misguided because they did not have strong figures in their lives that promoted education and doing the appropriate things to better themselves. This was apparent to me during my high school years because I attend a high school that is in a really poor neighborhood. Initially this was very concerning to my parents and me, but going to a school that was very different than what I was accustomed to presented me with an opportunity to learn more about my community. Understanding that my community was just not the housing development or the better side of town where I lived.

Being fortunate enough to be raised in a structured household and seeing many of my peers that did not, I felt compelled to get engaged and take some kind of action that would help. While discussing ways to help with one of my teachers, Mrs. Hester, she informed of the County's Teen Court program.

This was a program that allowed teens that were in trouble for various reasons to be counseled by their peers. I volunteered for this program, received training and eventually became a Teen Court lawyer. Doing this gave me the opportunity to further understand why some of my peers behaved as they did. More importantly, my Teen Court experience gave me the opportunity to reach out and help my peers, which is important to me.

At the start of my junior year of high school, Mrs. Hester, who is a board member of the Juvenile Crime Prevention Council (JCPC), selected me to be the tri-county student representative on the council. The JCPC consist of local government officials and youth organization leaders. The council's mission is to find ways to reach out to and help misguided and disadvantaged teenagers. Participating on this council gave me the opportunity to share my thoughts on how local organizations could help at risk students. Being a JCPC member also gave me the opportunity to work with and learn from community leaders.

The Teen Court and JCPC experiences were not sexy, didn't occur in some exotic location, and neither received big headlines. The experiences, however, helped me become a leader, but more importantly they allowed me to help kids in MY community that needed help. With the experiences and social events that I have participated in, I hope to bring the values that I have learned to Rutgers. My experiences have helped me develop from a just a person in the community, to a person that tries to make an impact in the community by continuing to provide my services to help disadvantaged people.

I feel that the diverse student population and the broad range of degrees available make Rutgers a top choice in my college selection process. I believe that Rutgers will allow me to challenge myself in my desired major.

Home / Undergraduate / 'kids that were misguided' - Rutgers