'All I know is That I Know Nothing' - Cornell - Engineering essay

thrill4rishabh 1 / 4  
Cornell Engineering Essay

Prompt: Engineers turn ideas (technical, scientific, mathematical) into reality. Tell us about an engineering idea you have or your interest in engineering. Explain how Cornell Engineering can help you further explore this idea or intrest.

All I know is That I Know Nothing

I remember when I was little and saw my dad using a computer for the first time, I was fascinated by thing. I remember asking my dad," How is it that you just press this here and something awesome happens in there?"

Every time I would use a computer, I would wonder about what really happened inside. The CPU was like a box of wonder. You plug it in and watch the magic happen. It was only recently when we started studying semiconductor devices in class, did I realize that it really was more complex that I ever imagined it to be!

And the more I studied, the more fascinated I became! As the saying goes, "The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know," I am fascinated by the infinite scope and wide range of opportunities to make new designs and improve upon existing ones.

And my curiosity and interest doesn't end with computers. As is common knowledge, the world faces a massive energy crisis in the near future due to quick disappearance of fossil fuels. This has resulted in development of various alternate sources of energy like wind, solar, geothermal and hydro-thermal. But there is an infinite scope for new ideas. For instance, how about using sound waves to harvest energy? After all, there are massive sound vibrations on window panes in an airport. It seems such a waste to not use them.

Another idea - How about we attach a turbine to car tires to generate electricity. This would serve a dual purpose of transportation as well as an energy generator. I have many such ideas, a lot of which might be too fanciful , but as a future engineering student, I know that nothing is impossible - you just have to want it bad enough.

I believe that I am creative and innovative enough, that if given the sufficient resources and knowledge, I can achieve something special. That is what I will get at Cornell. I have heard that Cornell holds an introduction to engineering course to explore the different fields of engineering. This is exactly what I need because I am not very sure of my area of specialization. At this moment, I am inclined towards Computer Engineering, but I may find a course that interests me even more. This flexibility that Cornell offers insures that I study the subjects I am comfortable with and interested in. Furthermore, I am very enthusiastic about Cornell's Student Grant Program. As this program enables undergraduates to carry on individual research with the funding and support from the university itself, it would allow me to carry out research work in the field I choose, and give me a chance to incorporate theoretical studies into practical context.

I hope to be a part of the unique and encouraging environment at Cornell and to prove to be an asset to the university, and later mankind, so that the kids in the future have a lot more things to wonder about and appreciate.

Please review. I need to submit by today!! Also, is the title necessary?
Xanaphia 1 / 10  
I remember when I was little and saw my dad using a computer for the first time, I was fascinated by the thing. I remember asking my dad," How is it that you just press this here and something awesome happens in there?"

Every time I would use a computer, I would wonder about what really happened inside. The CPU was like a box of wonder. You plug it in and watch the magic happen. It was only recently when we started studying semiconductor devices in class, did I realize that it really was more complex that I ever imagined it to be! kind of awkward

And the more I studied, the more fascinated I became! As the saying goes, "The more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know," I am fascinated by the infinite scope and wide range of opportunities to make new designs and improve upon existing ones. nicely written

Another idea - How about we attach a turbine to car tires to generate electricity. This would serve a dual purpose of transportation as well as an energy generator. I have many such ideas, a lot of which might be too fanciful. But as a future engineering student, I know that nothing is impossible - you just have to want it badly enough.

over all, well written ^.^I'm not sure about the title
OP thrill4rishabh 1 / 4  
What do you mean kind of awkward? Any suggestions?
Xanaphia 1 / 10  
I don't know...it's just the way that one sentence read. when you get to ", did I realize..." The way the sentence is formed...it just reads odd. You could try "that I realized"

Any other way I could help?
nerd4life 1 / 2  
I liked it! I wouldn't start the sentences with 'and' or 'but.' I also don't think the title is necessary. It was a really great essay. :)
saurabh93 11 / 94  
The essay is compelling, but I think the title can be tailored to refer to your appreciation of engineering.
Besides, will you look at and comment on my essay for Pomona and Commonapp? Thanks
soufianelaouad 3 / 29  
ask yourself if anybody else can write this essay if not you succeeded

other than that, Amazing Work !
I am a high school student who wants to pursue Electrical or mechanical engineering at Purdue Next year.
Please look at the Last essay I just posted its about engineering and my future at purdue
thank you

Home / Undergraduate / 'All I know is That I Know Nothing' - Cornell - Engineering essay