'Lacking life' - What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT?

alv2812 1 / 2  
Is it too conventional or boring? Does it make sense?
I would really appreciate grammar or coherence correction! Thank you so much!

Prompt: What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT? Why are you interested in the major you are applying to? We'd like you to tell us in an essay. This is your chance to tell us more about your experiences, activities and accomplishments. (No more than 750 words, please.)

All my life, I have been some how "lacking". I wasn't the girl with the best grades or the one that has many friends, I wasn't the girl my parents wanted me to be. But the one thing that has always been with me, my undeniable ability, if you will, is art. Trough my ups and downs, lost friends, parents fighting, everything I always had art and it's something I will never loose. Art is my constant. I remember when the teachers in pre-school asked us what we wanted to be when we grew and I always wanted to be "drawer", I suppose back then I didn't realize there's no much future for a piece of furniture; but unlike my classmates, aside from the term, my answer never changed, until now. When I began 11th grade everyone was going on and on about the future, the only thing I wanted to do was paint contrasts with watercolors. That is when I realized, I would never grow out of art simply because that is who I was, and I didn't want to.

I looked through countless schools and programs, but none of them was exactly what I wanted. Then I found FIT. It started like just a dream, the perfect school in New York and I was just a little girl down in Mexico. It was a daunting option. Staying in my country and applying to the standard renowned colleges here was what was expected of me after all. I noticed how silent my parents became when their friends talked about what colleges their kids where applying to. The more I thought about it, the less likely it seemed; but then I decided I didn't care. I couldn't let my dreams go as peoples words of being "realistic" seeped through me, I needed to go after them. It didn't matter if the people around me thought it was an immature girls decision, I couldn't be afraid of the life I wanted. That is why FIT is not just a school for me, it's not just "the college experience". For me, FIT is a challenge, that defining decision in life that people talk about.

The combination of colors, how one simple shade can change all the dynamics in a piece has always fascinated me. The principles of design and how it changes our perception of beauty is something I want to be a part of. That feeling of ecstasy when you finally find the font that makes all the elements unify and that is just right. Every corner, regardless of its aesthetics, has a feeling. I am captivated by the beauty of flow and disruption an element can create. Design is a necessity and that is what I want people to realize. I want to show how simply appreciating beauty in things and places surrounding us can change ones life. How your perception can change when you are aware of the design around you and make an experience turn from sorely functional to one that charms your senses. That is why Communication Design is the perfect path for me. I want to learn to change peoples viewpoint and comprehension of things, to create campaigns and spaces that makes them crave.

I think FIT will help me get the skills and breakthrough I need to win a place in the industry and, hopefully, to transform the view society has of design. I know I will give it my all because as I already said, art, and by extension design, is a part of me and will always be. I know I have what it takes to succeed at FIT, I have the passion and determination to outdo myself and become the best that I can. I will give FIT all my dedication, enthusiasm and creativity and I hope to have the opportunity to prove this and achieve my goals.

Again, thank you!! :)
jadore_lamode68 6 / 37  
Great essay. Couldn't find anything majorly wrong.

You talk alot about how FIT fits you but not necessarily what makes you the perfect candidate...
I would just maybe go into a bit of WHAT you've done that makes you qualified.

Other than that I think its peachy perfect.

All the best.

Please help mine!
OP alv2812 1 / 2  
I just modified it, but I still need help! Please?

All my life, I have been somehow "lacking". I wasn't the girl with the best grades or the one that has many friends, I wasn't the girl my parents wanted me to be. But the one thing that has always been with me, my undeniable ability, is art. Through my ups and downs, lost friends, parents fighting, everything I always had art and it's something I will never lose. It is my constant, so to speak. I remember when the teachers in pre-school asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up and I always wanted to be "drawer", I suppose back then I didn't realize there's not much future for a piece of furniture; but unlike my classmates, aside from the term, my answer never changed. When I began 11th grade everyone was going on and on about the future but the only thing I wanted to do was paint contrasts with watercolors. That is when I realized, I would never grow out of art simply because that is who I was and mostly, I didn't want to.

I looked through countless schools and programs, but none of them was exactly what I wanted. Then, I found FIT. It started like just a dream, the perfect school in New York and I was just a little girl down in Mexico. It was a daunting option. Staying in my country and applying to the standard renowned colleges here was what was expected of me, after all. I noticed how silent my parents became when their friends talked about what colleges their kids where applying to and the more I thought about it, the less likely it seemed. There was a moment then, when I decided I didn't care. I couldn't let my dreams go as people's words of being "realistic" seeped through me, I needed to go after them. It didn't matter if the ones around me thought it was an immature girl's decision, I couldn't be afraid of the life I wanted. That is why FIT is not just a school for me, it's not just "the college experience". FIT is a challenge, for me it's that defining decision in life that people talk about.

The combination of colors, how one simple shade can change all the dynamics in a piece has always fascinated me. That feeling of ecstasy when you finally find the font that makes all the elements unify and that is just right. Every corner, regardless of its aesthetics, has a feeling. The beauty of flow and disruption an element can create captivates me. Design is a necessity and that is what I want people to realize. To show how simply appreciating beauty in things and places surrounding us can change one's life. How your perception can change when you are aware of the design around you and make an experience turn from sorely functional to one that charms your senses. That is why Communication Design is the perfect path for me. I want to learn to change people's viewpoint and comprehension of things, to create campaigns and spaces that awes them and makes them crave more.

I think FIT will help me get the skills and breakthrough I need to win a place in the industry and, hopefully, to transform the view society has of design. I know I will give it my all because as I already said, art and by extension design, is a part of me and will always be. I know I have what it takes to succeed at FIT; I have the passion and determination to outdo myself and become the innovative force the industry needs. I will give FIT all my dedication and creativity and I'm hoping to have the opportunity to prove this and achieve my goals.

Thank you!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Lacking life' - What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT?