"Where do you like it better?" I can never be able to answer this question - Moving from US to India

sukhjit015 1 / 1  
Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

Word limit- 250-650 words

"Where do you like it better?", asked my friend, while I stood there, speechless. I looked all calm and composed on the outside but a mental war was going on in my head. This wasn't the first time anyone had asked me that question. Well, it is an obvious question to ask considering the fact that I was born in the US but had been living in India since I was about five. I have always found this question hard to answer because both the countries are very close to my heart. I just couldn't decide what to say. "Both.", I said, finally. "How can you like both?", she asked after hearing my answer. This time I really didn't know what to say because I could never possibly explain my love for both my countries.

I remember the time when we moved to India, a new country, new school, new people and new opportunities. I started going to school but it wasn't easy at first. The regional language there was Punjabi, and hence the problem. I did know how to speak Punjabi but I didn't know how to write it properly. I knew that I had to learn it if I were to live here. So, I started sitting next to the teacher's table, writing as much as I could, whatever I could in Punjabi. I improved drastically and I finally caught up with the rest of the class.

But still I had problems making new friends since no one wanted to befriend the 'new girl'. It felt really bad, at that time, almost depressing. But I didn't give up. I became friends with a girl who was somewhat like me since she didn't have any friends either. Only then did I realize what a beautiful person she was. If I had also acted like the rest of the students, I would never have found such a good friend. I started looking at people with a different perspective, that there is always more to a person than what meets the eye. Slowly, my other classmates started talking to me and I found out that I was not much different from any of them. Before you know it, I was friends with everyone. At first, I felt of myself like a misfit but with time all the awkwardness seemed to disappear and I started to feel comfortable in this new place.

Within a little time, I gained my confidence back and joined many extra-curricular activities. I discovered my interest in art, started public speaking and volunteered in other school activities. Moving to India has made me realize who I am as a person, what my strengths and weaknesses are. Now, after twelve years of living in India, I never feel that I came from somewhere else. My taste in movies, food, clothes, music, everything has been Indianized while still having an American touch to it. India feels like a second home to me.

Even though I have lived in India for most of my life, I still haven't lost touch with America. I go there every year during the summer vacations. It seems like a refreshing change. Although I don't have much memories about my life in America before moving to India, but I still remember my old pre-school, which is just across the street from where I live. Whenever, I have time I go there and it feels really good that the teachers there still remember you by your name. They actually care for me and it makes me feel grateful to have such people in my life. Our neighbors there also seem really happy on seeing us. All that love and care in our neighborhood, makes it feel like home, even if it is for a couple of months.

Being both American and Indian has made me very open minded. India has made me understand diversity in cultures and religions and America has taught me how culturally different people live peacefully in the same city. Living in India has brought me closer to my roots, exposed me to a new world and given me the confidence to conquer the problems we face in life whether it be adjusting in a new place or understanding that everything is not always what it seems. It gave me a different perspective on life. I am certainly proud of belonging to two such amazing countries and I think I've got the best of both worlds.

Maybe, this is why I could not answer my friend's question...
esslayer 3 / 7  
but a mental war was going on in my head over it .
I struggled to name any one of themI just couldn't decide what to say .
This time I really didn't know what to say to that.because I cancould never possibly explain my love for both my countries

I remember the time when we moved to India
I did know how to speak Punjabi but itI didn't know how to write it properly
But still I had problems making new friends I tried to be friends with the students in my class but everyone already had their friends and not many wanted to let the new girl be their friendsince no one wanted to befriend the 'new' girl.

I became friends with a girl who was somewhat like meno one else wanted to be friends withsince she didn't have any friends either

" Soon, I realized that sometimes there is more to a person than it seems, and so did the other students Before you know it, I was friends with everyone" HOW??

has brought me closer to my roots, exposed me to a new world and gavegiven me the confidence
Being both American and Indian has made me have a very open-mind about thingsvery open minded
certainly proud to beof belonging
Maybe, this is why I can never be able to answer her questioncould not answer my friend's question...

Ok I have tried to correct all the grammatical and sentence structure mistakes but the thing is you moved from America when you were about 5 so I get this feeling from the essay that you are trying to force the 'American influence'.
OP sukhjit015 1 / 1  
Thank you. I made some changes to it. How does it look now?

Home / Undergraduate / "Where do you like it better?" I can never be able to answer this question - Moving from US to India