Marital Arts as a Way of Life - uc prompt 2 pls help revise?!

dreadhavok 1 / 2  
Martial Way of Life

"Martial Arts should be a way of life, not a job, hobby, sport, but a part of you and the way you live your life." -- Frank Gutting. Although many people correlate martial arts to just methodical approaches of combat, the militant techniques have much more to offer. My nine years of martial arts experience has engraved in me a code that my outlook on life is based on. Like other martial artists, I have unconsciously developed confidence, humbleness, tranquility, and open-mindedness to the world, people, and other ideals through the various disciplinary actions.

I was forced into Taekwondo at the age of eight by my father who just wanted me to get some exercise and lose some weight. When I first was enrolled, I was still an overexcited boy that did not have any self-control over his actions and also did not have anything to do with responsibility. The studio, a Taekwondo gym, was the place where most of my maturation took place. My master emphasized that the students not only show respect and behave appropriately in the studio, but also outside the studio. If any of the students failed to meet the requirements of the studio, they would have to suffer the consequences of hard running, pushups, and sit-ups. I was one of those kids that had to partake in the punishments from the reports that my master got from home. I also was thrown around by the higher belts during sparring due to my doubtful techniques and my fear of pain.

Through my five year journey to get my black-belt and my three year journey after to get my second degree black-belt, constant repetition and constant enforcement of a highly disciplined self had become a habit. I did not have to be forcibly be punished anymore. My fears of pain had disappeared and I developed a passion to learn new techniques in sparring and excel in all aspects of my body. By earning my black-belt I also was given the responsibility of teaching the younger belts which benefited me to gain confidence to communicate with others and have no hesitation to take up leadership positions at my studio, church, school, and my job. The leadership has taught me to be patient and take initiative when trying to help others especially in the community. I also have learned that life is much more peaceful when one chooses to be calm under hard times.

I cannot even imagine the person I would be if I had never taken up martial arts. Taekwondo has made me stronger both, physically and mentally. Although I am proud of my accomplishments in Taekwondo, I never let the pride stop me from moving forward and trying new activities in high school and the community. By learning unfamiliar ways the body can move and absorbing the techniques, I have become more open-minded many ideas in the world today and with the experiences I have yet to encounter in college, I hope to take a stand and benefit the world. I believe my background in martial arts will help me harmonize with the college community and assist to make a more diverse and interesting association of students.
When I first was enrolled, I was still an overexcited boy with little self-control and no sense of responsibility...

Through my five year journey to get my black-belt, and the following three year journey to get my second degree black-belt, constant repetition and constant enforcement of a highly disciplined self had become a habit.

By learning unique ways in which the body can move, and by absorbing the techniques, I have become more open-minded. With the experiences that await me in college, I hope to take a stand and benefit the world.

Good essay! Just those small corrections above.

Thanks!!

Kevin
TheFlameProof 4 / 20  
That is a good essay, but I was left wondering who is Frank Gutting? maybe you add who he is so his quote is more significant.

Please comment on mine.
OP dreadhavok 1 / 2  
thank you so much! ill correct this rite away!

Home / Undergraduate / Marital Arts as a Way of Life - uc prompt 2 pls help revise?!