A^2=B^2+C^2 - Math has been and will always be a hobby for me. COMMON APP ESSAY

abdulmuhaimen1 1 / 1  
my counselor told me to improve this essay. HELP ME GUYS.

everything is related to math

I love the feeling of looking at an equation and having it look completely foreign and scary to me, getting lost while solving it, trying different approaches, finding mistakes, setting them right , scratching my head, realizing I am making it too complicated and then simplifying.

The idea that everything is someway is related to math was introduced during the Pythagoreans of ancient Greece. Even literature has roots of math, Mesopotamian cuneiform, the earliest writing system was a byproduct of an earlier system of numerals. The most important thing about math is that it personifies the absolute truth, within math every theorem has absolute proof and can be proved right. The beauty of math is that its theories lies even in the simplest things. Whether I am calculating discount on shoes which are on sale, push a car in an inclined path, roll a dice of six three times in a row or witnessing the parabola shaped waves made on the surface of water when stone skipping with friends. Math successfully describes nature and everything that comes with it.

I wasn't always good in math, and back in the day I was unable to even grasp some of the easiest mathematical concepts. One of my biggest academic burden was solving simultaneous equation and till tenth grade I was intrigued by my peers who would solve these equation in a minute. However math never gave up on me and I ended Olevels with A in mathematics. At the start of alevels my school counselor told me not to take maths as it is much harder and you may not be able to handle the pressure. All year I got Ds and Cs in my monthly tests but ended the year with B in As level maths and hopefully I will upgrade this B into A next year.

For me, maths isn't just a study of; quantity, space, structure and change, but maths has been and will always be a hobby for me. I don't want something that I enjoy to end, but in case of math there is always a new chapter around the corner, and for me the next chapter is actuarial science.
Abdul, without a copy of the common app prompt topic that you are responding to, it is impossible for me, as a contributor to give you specific advice regarding what to correct and why in this essay. I can only offer you a general review of the content and what I think can be removed or adjusted in order to create a better essay flow. Now that advice, may or may not be prompt responsive. Sadly, I can only offer you on free advice so if you decide to post the prompt in order to receive better instructions and additional review from me, you will have to make this thread "Urgent" by contacting the forum admin. Otherwise, there is no way a contributor can help you improve this essay.

It seems to me that your essay veered too much on the historical aspect of Math. I am not sure why you did that because you placed it so early on in the discussion that it stopped the essay from becoming a well developed common app prompt and created a research paper instead. My advice, is to remove the historical aspect of Math and instead, use your commonly known or personal experience with Math to describe what makes math special to you, in layman's terms. That way the essay remains in a common app tone and focuses more on you instead of on the history of math and then you. The common app focus should always be on the applicant student in accordance with the prompt instructions and nothing more.
OP abdulmuhaimen1 1 / 1  
I an writing this on prompt 1,which is to write about an interest without which the applicant thinks that his application would be incomplete.
van94 3 / 7 1  
Dear Abdul
I think you should write less about Math itself and focus more on you, how did you realize you like Math, how did you improve, the process, the thing you did that show how much you love it.

That's my opinion, hope it helps.

Home / Undergraduate / A^2=B^2+C^2 - Math has been and will always be a hobby for me. COMMON APP ESSAY