MEDIA hinders our view of world; UNCW

kbell232 1 / -  
The media hinders our view of the world. They've only contributed to the discrimination and fear that exists in America's society. The media in America abuses its power over the public.

For example, whenever I pass through a predominantly black neighborhood, I feel nervous and suspicious of everyone around me. Even though, my best friend is African American. So why do I feel apprehensive in a black neighborhood? Because the media reports on more crimes committed by black individuals than white.

Another example, when I visited France last summer, I couldn't help but admire the trust that the French had with each other. People would leave their motorcycles and cars unlocked with the keys still in the ignition.

The news in France is much more positive. Every story seemed to have a happy premise. "Local high school student organizes fundraiser for the homeless." Whereas in America, the media seems to constantly report on disheartening stories where the villain wins.

This reminds me of a clip from Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine where Michael Moore asks a reporter if he rather report on the pollution in Los Angeles or a shooting. The reporter, with out hesitation, chooses the shooting. He said, "Always go with the gun story."
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you've written a good essay! I have just a few editing suggestions:

I feel nervous and suspicious of everyone around me, even though my best friend is African American.

Another example: when I visited France last summer,

where Michael Moore asks a reporter if he would rather report on the pollution in Los Angeles or a shooting.

I'm curious--what part of France were you visiting? I can't imagine people being that trusting in Paris or Marseilles, where there is significant crime--or have I just been listening to the wrong media sources? :-))

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / MEDIA hinders our view of world; UNCW