The miniEnterprize Youth Business Conference - UBC Sauder School of Business - Personal Profile

student_88 1 / -  
EXPLAIN HOW YOU RESPONDED TO A PROBLEM AND/OR AN UNFAMILIAR SITUATION. WHAT DID YOU DO, WHAT WAS THE OUTCOME, AND WHAT DID YOU LEARN FROM THE EXPERIENCE?

This past February I decided to attend the miniEnterprize Youth Business Conference and Case Competition for the first time with my club members. I'll admit, I had my doubts. As the president of a business club, people expected you to be experienced in these things, yet I wondered how I could effectively lead my team while having no idea what to expect. Nonetheless, I walked into the UBC building on that cold, Saturday morning with my head held high ready for a packed day of new experiences. How did I respond to leading a team of young women through this unfamiliar situation? I delegated. Throughout my years in school, I have found the best way for a group to stay organized is to delegate tasks clearly. Once my group received our mystery case topic, I quickly skimmed through the package and determined which sections each member could thrive on. After appointing everyone with a different task, we began filling our slides with all the different information. To stay on track, I periodically reminded the team of the remaining time, ensuring everyone worked at a pace fast enough to complete the PowerPoint within the allocated two-hour timeframe.

Unfortunately, we did not qualify as finalist but at the end of the day we gained an abundance of new presentation skills, such as proper etiquette when presenting in front of a panelist of judges, ways to convey your thoughts effectively, and the ideal template to use when creating a presentation made to convince an audience of your ideas.
I like the way you approached the discussion. I did not like that you avoided discussing what you learned from your leadership experience. You should be presenting information about any self doubt you might have had. Explain why you decided to delegate all tasks among the group members. How did you assist during the time aside from reminding them about the deadline. As a leader you had to do more than that to keep the team on track. Surely you would want to build up your leadership, conflict resolution, and experience lessons in the essay because that is what you are expected to present to the reviewer. Go ahead, revise the essay. Try to include my suggested focus points.

Home / Undergraduate / The miniEnterprize Youth Business Conference - UBC Sauder School of Business - Personal Profile