Northwestern Essay (the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences)

Selina78 1 / -  
i really need your help i need my essay to be really good since northwestern is my first choice

Northwestern Statement:

The diversity of Northwestern University is a quality that attracts me to the school. Learning in a diverse environment is very important to because our country, our workplaces, and our schools include persons of various ethnics groups and interests. Diversity allows us to learn from one another, but first we must have a level of understanding about one another in order to work together effectively. At Northwestern not only will I be able to learn about people from other states or even countries, but they will also be able to learn from me. Since 80 % of the students are from out of state they don't know what it's like living in Chicago. That's where I come into place. I will be able to tell them about my experiences, as a student here in Chicago, while at the same time, learning from them about their experiences living in another state.

Last year during a campus visit, I had the opportunity to meet a student from Germany. This made me excited about attending Northwestern University because I don't know what it's like to have classmate from a different country. Since I came to the United States six years ago, I've always lived in Chicago, going to Gage Park High School, I've only met people who have always lived in Chicago, which has limited my opportunities to learn about the cultures, lifestyles and opinions of different people.

As a future Secondary Education major with a concentration in English, learning how to work with people from different cultural backgrounds is vital. I will have a lot of reading, which must learn to analyze and interpret. I find this can be boring when I am discussing readings with people who are the same as me and share my opinion. However reading and having the opportunity to discuss that material with people from different cultural backgrounds, ideas, beliefs and opinions can be a great experience, I am able to learn about them based on their unique interpretations of the readings.

I believe that the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences at Northwestern will not only provide me with the individualized plan of that I want but also will give me the opportunity to work alongside people who have a unique point of view on different topics that affect us all. Diversity encourages critical thinking which a very important skill in life is. I know that attending such a diverse school like Northwestern will present me with people who have a perspective different from mine; the ideas and opinions that I've held all my life will be questioned and sometimes challenged, but instead of this worrying me it excites me, since I will be able to learn about other's people's believes and the sources of their beliefs.
AU0594 15 / 31  
Split the following sentences in to two sentences: Since I came to the United States six years ago, I've always lived in Chicago, going to Gage Park High School, I've only met people who have always lived in Chicago, which has limited my opportunities to learn about the cultures, lifestyles and opinions of different people.

This sentence makes no sense:
I will have a lot of reading, which must learn to analyze and interpret.
Also i feel like the essay is a little too repetitive

Home / Undergraduate / Northwestern Essay (the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences)