Notes,Notes. & more end; A work of music that has surprised/unsettled/challenged me- UVA

an_nie 3 / 9 5  
Hi everyone! This is one of the supplements for UVA, any feedback is welcome, thank you!
What work of art, music, science, mathematics, or literature has surprised, unsettled, or challenged you, and in what way? (word limit: roughly 250 words)

Notes. Notes. And more endless notes. I sat on the floor and stared at the seven pages of piano sheets I spread out, groaning as I set the timer for my daily hour of piano practice. How can a mere 12-yr-old and her short fingers possibly tackle Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu. I started sight reading but failing miserably, I gave up and practiced a different song. Five years have passed and here I am staring at the piece again. I have only months to perfect the piece before my major competition. I let out a small sigh but encouraged myself by reminiscing my reality dream of performing in Carnegie Hall the previous year. Placing the goal of being able to play there again in my mind, I dove into the song and was surprised by the ease and comfort I felt as my fingers glided across the keys. As I flew into the next page, my affection for the piece heightened.

Recollecting when I was first introduced to this Impromptu, I reflect over the music-less notes I once played. At that time, I only thoughtlessly played the notes I saw on the page. I didn't truly see or hear the story each note, crescendo, or key change had a part in creating. What may seem like the most necessary part- the notes, are in fact equally as important as an imagination to convey the overall fantasy for the audience to envision. After these five years, my approach to both the piano and the piece has matured; I can now see the beauty in the endless notes. The determination and patience I've developed over the years of playing piano and learning Chopin's masterpiece have reshaped my own life and character. The piano has shown me how music isn't endless scores of notes but more significantly, an exquisite story to share.
meatheadmanny 4 / 11  
I dove into the song and was surprised by the ease and comfort I felt as my fingers glided across the keys. As I flew into the next page, my affection for the piece heightened.

This sentence here has great imagery and places me in your position in this essay. Overall i felt that you did a great job answering the prompt and this essay is very well written and flows well.
WizFan2 5 / 20 1  
I let out a small sigh, but encouraged myself by reminiscing my reality dream of performing in Carnegie Hall the previous year.

Encouraged doesn't follow the present tense structure you set up.

Great essay, I really liked the conclusion. I applied to UVA too, good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Notes,Notes. & more end; A work of music that has surprised/unsettled/challenged me- UVA