NYU- Diversity at its best, it opened my eyes to the ignorance that blinded me

jshah 4 / 12  
NYU is 'In and of the City' and 'In and of the World.' What does the concept of a global network university mean to you? How do you think studying in New York City, Abu Dhabi, or one of NYU's global sites would change you as a person and equip you to build cross-cultural relationships at NYU and beyond?

NYU is the epitome of diversity. After migrating to the United States, the diversity in culture opened my eyes to the ignorance that blinded me by solely learning about cultures only through my textbooks. Having the privilege to learn beside a diverse population will challenge me and make me a global citizen. I will become well-rounded and extinguish the ignorance that surrounds me, an opportunity that will help me in the field of business by helping me understand people better.

I do not understand this part of the question: How do you think studying in New York City, Abu Dhabi, or one of NYU's global sites would change you as a person and equip you to build cross-cultural relationships at NYU and beyond?

If someone could check if I addressed that question in my essay. =)

Thank you!
NissanHaque 3 / 10  
Hey jshah,

What the question simply means is how studying at NYU would allow you to become more aware of the world around you and not simply leaving a strictly domestic outlook. I think you accomplish this in an indirect way when you say "Studying at one of the global sites..."

the world "comprehensive" seems a bit awkward as it is the wrong word to use in this context. Perhaps something along the lines of "well-rounded". It is also not a trait.

If you could also look at my supplements that would be great.

Thanks and good luck! Hopefully I will see you next year.
shquo 3 / 5  
I would say that the second part asks about how you think NYU will give you the skills to build relationships with people of other cultures and backgrounds in the future--will it make you more understanding? more thoughtful? more open-minded?

You can also say that nyu will teach you of other cultures so that you may better understand people in the future, without judgment or ignorance (or...that's what it would teach me, I suppose, if I were applying!)

I would also be more specific. Your answers are a bit generic, and although you have written them really well, I think you need to dive deeper. Are there specific cultures you would like to learn about? Have you ever put up barriers culture-wise? Talk about you personally, because these questions are intended to get the admissions officer to see who you are. Maybe add some pop culture references too, just to show a bit of your personality and awareness of your own culture.

=) GOOD LUCK!!!

Please read/comment/correct my personal statement (about the SF Giants)!
liala 2 / 5  
i agree with others, you should be more specific.
are you majoring in business? explain how NYU will help you in it
OP jshah 4 / 12  
Thanks for the suggestions!

I made a few, well maybe not a few.. but a lot of changes, and produced the essay below.
Any feedback.. good or bad is appreciated. (don't hesitate to be harsh!)

A few questions: Should the comma be a semi-colon or something else? It just doesnt feel right.
Annd.. Is the personal example okay?

Thank you... and I will look into your essays :)
I have an opportunity to become well-rounded and extinguish the ignorance that surrounds me, one that will help me the field of business by helping me understand people better in business and also as a citizen.

Above, that is what I thought of when I saw your sentence. It is okay to have a comma, but the first part of the sentence did not really go with the second part of the sentence.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / NYU- Diversity at its best, it opened my eyes to the ignorance that blinded me