NYU SUPPLEMENT QUESTIONS -- DEADLINE SENSITIVE

isgluska 2 / 4  
In addition to any work experience that you listed on your application, please tell us how you spent your most recent summer vacation.

Although I was busy working two jobs, I made it a priority to learn how to drive this past summer. Growing up in Manhattan, I relied on the subways and my own two feet. Initially I was scared to learn how to drive, but I was determined to overcome it. My attitude towards getting behind the wheel suddenly changed and I was no longer creating excuses not to drive. I knew that it was a valuable skill I would likely use in my future, and so I set out to accomplish that feat.

Describe a trait or characteristic that has been passed along to you by your family. Tell us why you like or dislike this aspect of yourself.

I admire my father's humor and believe that it has been passed down to me. He is great at telling jokes and making others laugh. I catch myself doing the same thing. Humor is a valuable characteristic that makes life more enjoyable. It is rewarding to see that I have put a smile on someone else's face. The spark in their eyes after telling a joke creates an instant connection. I like this aspect of myself because it lightens up the mood and creates a special bond with others.

New York City is an essential element of academic and cultural life at NYU. If you could engage in an activity or start a club or service organization at NYU, what would it be and how would you envision it impacting the larger community?

I would participate in a human rights advocacy group because I believe that it is essential to understand, educate and take action in human rights. It would raise awareness and encourage others to take initiative. In this city, there are exceeding amounts of organizations that are active and specialize in human rights. We could partner with organizations that have ties to places beyond New York. These connections could help bridge the gap that is separating NYU students from the larger community.

You have been selected to sing in a talent show. What song would you choose? Why?

"A Day In The Life" by The Beatles holds a special place in my heart. I would have the greatest pleasure performing this song because it reminds me of all the precious memories spent with my camp friends. I cannot help but flash back to us dancing on our beds and singing along using our hair brushes as microphones. This song allows me reflect on the good times in my life.

Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

My main interest lies within the discipline of political science, but I am also very much involved and attracted to numerous issues in international relations and urban studies. Now more than ever, I find myself drawn to politics, international relations and cities, and I want to learn more and more about other cultures and societies. I want to acquire a better knowledge of civilizations and governments, and to champion the cause of human rights in America as well as in other countries around the world.
These already seem pretty solid. The only suggestion I can think of is that you might want to briefly explain what you mean by human rights, which causes mean most to you, why you are drawn to them, that sort of thing, if you can find the room. I realize that the word count limit will make that difficult, though. Good luck.
I like it better with "enables":

This song enables me reflect on the good times in my life.

For this, show that you understand something about IR, but don't just throw in terms like "urban studies," IR, politics, etc. Show that you understand one, like this:

My main interest lies within the discipline of political science, but I am also very much involved and attracted to numerous issues in discovering more about the strange history of international relations among various countrie s. and urban studies.

Other than this essay I just commented on, I like all of these! So, I agree with Sean.

One more thing, though: For the first and third one -- and actually for any of these -- it would be good to mention a little about what, specifically, you envision yourself doing in your career and how it is rooted in your education that you will be getting at this school. So, try to throw in specific ideas based on your intended major and intended career. However, the essays are really very good already!
vistasad - / 7  
This is the para regarding starting a club or an activity. As pointed out 'human rights' is a very wide term and lots of applicants will be pumping it in.

Putting song in your mouth: You could say that you would like to start song groups which sing songs relevant to human rights around the world. A lot of campaigns are accompanied by singing in the local language. This would create a weak link to your next para and make your statement about work for human rights more focused.

Home / Undergraduate / NYU SUPPLEMENT QUESTIONS -- DEADLINE SENSITIVE