Oakland University Writing Center

alina967 11 / 29  
There was cursor blinking on the blank document of the MS Word on Computer. I was thinking that which place I will choose to write profile on it. Suddenly I thought the Writing Center of OU is the best place to describe. Oakland University Writing Center is located in Kresge Library. When I walked in the Writing Center I saw two big plants in the entrance of the room and that the walls were painted with orange and blue. There were tables, chairs, a reference desk and an office inside. This room was different than other rooms. They also posted paintings drawn by students from OU's Art studio.

Normally, students come with simple papers or essays with confused and frustrated faces. After working with the tutors in the writing center, they got their papers ready to be graded. When they came out from writing center they have smiles on their faces and they are proud of themselves. Because of the writing center, the future of the students of OU would be shining and brightening with their writing. Another benefit of the writing center is that it is the best place to get experience for those who want to become future teacher. Students who have difficulties in Business Communication come to the OUWC to get help on their work. The OUWC also offers an individual writing course, WRT 104. In this course student come regularly to work on their assignments with a teacher. It is designed to help students by encouraging and improving their writing. It is open for both undergraduate and graduate students of OU.

In the forty minute sessions, a consultant finds out what difficulties students have and how to solve them. They focus on rubrics, assignments, or the topics given by instructors. First, consultant read aloud through the paper. The writer and the consultant both think together on what is the best way to explain the main idea through detailed examples. The consultants go through each sentence and word of student's work to check and make sure everything is used correctly. If any word, sentence, or idea needs to be changed then the consultant first asks the student if they understand why that word or sentence should be changed. The consultant then gives full explanations on how to correct mistakes. The consultant might ask questions like "is this the way you want to write?" and "did this essay express your feelings about the topic?"

The Writing Center is also called The Joan Rosen Writing studio." The writing center was dedicated to Joan Rosen on October 23, 2006, in recognition of English professor Joan Rosen and her husband Robert whose vision is to bring writing center to the students and faculty of OU, and community was established through their founding gift. The Writing studio is named in honor of Joan Rosen's generosity, long time commitment to excellent in writing and communication. The Oakland University Writing Center provides individual and small group support for students, faculty and staff. Consultants and administrators seek to engender independent writing practices. The Writing Center supplements, but does not replace, the array of communication and writing courses offered by various departments. A university program that serves all clients regardless of discipline or task, the Oakland University Writing Center is the "write space" for the entire university community."

"The OUWC helps both strong and struggling students benefit from collaboration as they seek to draft, organize, and revise their compositions. Their consultants are not editors but seasoned readers who offer each student a fresh set of eyes from which to see an assignment or a draft." The Oakland University Writing Center supports all stages of writing. These stages include writing topics, organizing thoughts and developing, clear and concise hypothesis. Consults have extensive experience, and full knowledge about the courses of study. There are more than twenty consultants who assist students daily. To arrange an appointment, one can go to oakland.edu/secure/wc/schedular

"It's highly trained peer and faculty consultants can help students to verbalize ideas, transfer thoughts from head to hand, articulate informed arguments with appropriate claims and reasons, learn and follow APA, MLA, Chicago, and other documentation guidelines for writing. Graduate students engage in a writing-rich environment, one in which they must write on demand. The faculties of the writing center assist on the draft for publications, compose a thesis or dissertation, and assemble a teaching portfolio. "

Mrs. Leba Rautrbort is one the members of the writing center who not only professionally but also emotionally attached to the students. There is a bonding between her and students who learn with her. Students ask questions which they might be afraid to ask in a class. When students are successful , she feels pride that she is there to support them. For this lavish support of consultants, students no need to pay anything except their attention during session and preparation about their assignment. Some times when a student writes nothing or writes something in their language which cannot understand by the tutor, it feels so bad for tutor. In this situation the consultants could not help that student. Ashley Liening is an English major whose prior experience with the Fundamentals of Grammar course. Ashly is a student of WRT 320 is consultants of writing community. She loves to promote students towards goal of the writing. Some students come here regularly as part of their individual writing course. She is going to be teacher on the base of the experiences which she gets as consultants in the writing center.
...on the blank document of Microsoft Word. I was thinking that about which place I will choose as a focus for the profile I am about to write.

This room was different than from other rooms; it was distinguished by its ____________________. They also posted paintings drawn by students from OU's Art studio. (Now add one more sentence to complete this first paragraph. Make it a sentence that mentions the main theme of the whole essay.)

First, consultant reads aloud through the paper. The writer and the consultant both ...

(Add a topic sentence for this paragraph to introduce the quote.) "The OUWC helps both strong and struggling students benefit from collaboration as they seek to draft, organize, and revise their compositions. Their consultants

...

For this lavish support of consultants, students do not need to pay anything except their attention during session and in preparation of their assignment. ---- great sentence!

Some times when a student writes nothing or writes something in their language which cannot be understood by the tutor, it feels so bad for tutor. In this situation the consultants could not help that student. Ashley Liening is an ...

...which she gets as consultants in the writing center.--- This ending seems abrupt. Do you want to add a conclusion paragraph?

You seem to have worked very hard to perfect your writing.
OP alina967 11 / 29  
This one is most difficult essay (profile) for me.
I worked hard for it, and I know, I need conclusion but I don't know what to write in conclusion.
In the conclusion, you can discuss the IMPLICATIONS of the point you are making in the essay. The essay has a message, a main idea/message you want to convey. The conclusion paragraph is an opportunity to discuss your message in a way the reader will really deeply understand, because the introduction and body paragraphs have made them understand.

Home / Undergraduate / Oakland University Writing Center