"Obstacles" - Uf Admission essay

emanisilvera 1 / -  
In the space provided, please write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

Any suggestions on how to tie this into my contribution to UF campus community?

Obstacles
"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which one has overcome." This meaningful quote by Booker T. Washington is one that I live by. Life is filled with many obstacles and although it may seem unconquerable initially, there is somehow always a way through.

Moving in with my mom to another state my junior year of high school was an experience in my life that forced me to defy many obstacles. Since then, my mom and I have had to face deep economical challenges that left me with no choice but to take on a lot of stress and responsibilities that an average sixteen year old girl would not normally be concerned about. However, it was the journey through this experience that taught me how to be the responsible, hard-working young adult that I am today. Being that my mom was receiving unemployment and food stamps every month, there were things that I needed that she could not afford. So I took on a part time job during school, working every day after school and on weekends. With my mom being so depressed about her life and stressing about money, she would unintentionally overlook how well or not I was doing in school. Despite everything, I pushed myself to work hard and maintain not just good grades, but excellent grades without anyone having to encourage me. I taught myself how to spend my money wisely and also the importance of saving money. Most young girls my age could not handle the burden of working and helping pay bills but instead of pitying my living circumstances, I took charge of my life and decided not to just suffer through it. I decided to make a change. I decided that I didn't want this for my future.
duongnh0602 2 / 5  
"Moving in with my mom to another state my junior year of high school was an experience in my life that forced me to defy many obstacles." -> Moving in with my mom to another state, I was forced to defy many obstacles in my junior year of high school.

"but to take" -> But take

Hope this help.

Home / Undergraduate / "Obstacles" - Uf Admission essay