'Olympic Weightlifting' - Stanford Common App Extracurricular Elaborated

dumdeedumdeedoo 4 / 9  
Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (1000 character maximum).

At the coercion of my PE teacher, I started Olympic Weighting during my freshmen year. My initial intimidation and apprehension at participating in such a male dominated sport was quickly washed away. I found lifting empowering, and my seniors in the weight room were kind as well as motivating. There's something quite exhilarating about having almost two hundred pounds resting on one's shoulders, then having the power and will to put that weight over one's head. As time wore on, the calluses on my hands thickened, my technique grew more precise, my speed increased, and my gluteus maximus and quadriceps got sizably bigger. It soon became clear that I was good enough to compete on a national level. Throughout high school, I was able to compete in three national meets, medaling at two of them. Weightlifting has made me more confident by strengthening my belief in myself and my body.

Also, when editing, please bear in mind that I am at 892 characters right now.
Thanks in advance!
At the coercion of my PE teacher, I started Olympic Weightlifting during my freshmen year.

I found lifting empowering, and the seniors in the weight room were kind as well as motivating.

Weightlifting has made me more confident by strengthening my belief in myself and in my body.

Where it says,...'medaling at two of them'...should this say, 'winning medals at two of them? It doesn't sound right the other way, but as I don't lift weights, I'm not sure. But I don't think 'medaling' is actually a word. This is really cool though, that you are involved in this!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / 'Olympic Weightlifting' - Stanford Common App Extracurricular Elaborated