"originally a country boy with drive and aspiration" - rice -perspective essay.

Slayers_Boxer 2 / 4  
Every time I gaze at my reflection in the mirror, not one, but three people would be staring back at me-Mr. Receive, Mr. Give, and Mr. Joy.

Mr. Receive yelped his first cry in the peaceful suburb in Vietnam. Outwardly, he is a charming young man. In school, he is loved by his teachers and respected by his peers. At home, he is given his parents' utmost attention. Growing up in the midst of his country's reformation, he and other boys of his age shared a craving for success. However, they followed their dreams on different paths. Unlike most of his friend neighbors who often had to stretch themselves on the paddy fields, he went to school, pulled all-nighters, and earned good-grades in hope of a comfortable life, not the life he wanted on the farm though. His parents supported him wholeheartedly. They sent him to the top school in the city and showed him peers who shared his academic interest. He had the envious opportunity of travelling to Singapore, where he met the brightest of his friends from the South East Asian region. He enjoyed playing the Superman's role: winning national mathematical Olympiads, participating in prestigious program or even shaking hands with the President of Singapore on a volunteer trip. He carried the hope of a generation when he received the Singapore scholarship to study abroad. He took each and every opportunity available to him and turned it into his inspirations, his intellectual juice and his aspirations for a better life for his parents tomorrow. His heritage and unique upbringing of a country boy aspired him to unfold and connect his chronicle with people across the world. He owned his parents, his friends and his mentors for giving him the opportunity for him to grow and see the greater world through the eyes of a country boy. Mr. Receive as people called him. "He seized the day with what he received!"

His younger brother, Mr. Give, was only about five years old. As cute, little and chubby as he is, he loves to give and share with the others, both in his actions and in his thoughts. From washing dishes, cleaning the house, pruning his family's oak tree, to tutoring his naughty cousin, he did it all without a word of complaint. At times, his parents would be upset with his habit, like staying up three days straight to help his friend to complete her project while he struggled and rumbled with his own. But, essentially, he was just a helpful child who enjoyed helping others without any question. Four years in Singapore with Mr. Receive had taught him the value of social and community work. Summer break, the nurses at the hospitals see him almost every day. He clocked in; he clocked out. Sweaty and exhausted, he always flashed a smile to the elderly he took care of. "Let me help you with that!" he said with a caring heart. Devotion slowly became his nature. Last year, he decided to set up a volunteer group for community service against his parent's disapproval. They were worried that it would affect his class work as the Singapore education coupled with the scholarship recipient standard neglects the "human being" side of its student. It did not matter. He persisted. His grades remained strong and he was living his life to the fullest: full of smiles, laughter, and lessons. Personally, he would choose his pointed ear as his distinctive mark. His friends used to comment much about his ear. He admitted that it was quite embarrassing initially. Yet, he knew that those ears listened to stories of people from different walks of lives; those ears helped him to empathize with those people, and those ears widened his perception of our earthly world. He saw compassion, devotion and joy.

"Wait, did someone just call my name?" Mr. Joy, the last of the faction, is screaming for attention. Without hesitation, he took the floor: "My fellows! Mr. Joy is my name and I am determined not to be left out in Anh's essay on us brothers. Do not let my size fools you. I am of modest height but my enormous emotional support compensates for it all regardless of successes or failures. Surely they cannot forget my constant assistance. I have always been right there with Mr. Receive when he was born under the guardianship of his parents, when he went to school, and when he won his first mathematical competition to make his school proud. Mr. Give and I are soul mates. He enjoyed every minute he devoted himself to the other. Mr. Give, unlike many of his friends, is travelling to the most exotic places of the country helping his country mates while preparing his US college application on a laptop. I am proud to say that I am the spirit, the confidence, and the driving engine of our team! I help my brothers love what they do and do what they love, be it for himself or his people."

My name is Ta Hung Anh. I was originally a country boy with drive and aspiration, however great or small. I am a lucky child who happened to have the most caring parents in the world. I am fortunate enough to travel overseas to learn about other cultures, to immerse myself in diversity and to pursue my dreams and passions. I love my times and try to live my life to the fullest with bliss and without regret. Yet, I learnt that it is also important to give what you have, because what you give will eventually become what you are made of. I want to carry to Rice my Vietnamese flavor, my appreciation for life, be it mine or the others, and my relentless inspiration to serve with joy.

Have you ever tried rice made from Vietnamese paddy fields? To me, it tastes of love for life and willingness to give to others.

Already submitted but intend to use this one for other colleges. I will appreciate any comment. Thank you
melissajoy 4 / 13  
Your essay is a unique approach to portray your different strengths. I like it...very creative. Here are some typo mistakes I found. Good luck!

At home, he is givenreceives? or gives? his parents' utmost attention. Are you getting the attention, or are your parents?

I don't know if there is a rule about this, but I personally don't like starting a sentence with "however". You can definitely combine this into one sentence "Growing up in the midst of his country's reformation, he and other boys of his age shared a craving for success, however, they followed their dreams on different paths.

He owed his parents, his friends and his mentors for giving him the opportunity for him to grow and see the greater world through the eyes of a country boy.

Do not let my size fools you.

I am of modest height but my enormous emotional support compensates for it all, regardless of successes or failures
OP Slayers_Boxer 2 / 4  
Hey, thanks for the correction!
I hope my essay convey the essence of my community service and the joy of it?
Brilliant concept. Let's make the beginning more concise:
Every time I gaze at my reflection in the mirror, not one, but three people would be are staring back at me: Mr. Receive, Mr. Give, and Mr. Joy.---I added a colon! This is a good place to use a colon.

Sweaty and exhausted, he always flashed a smile to the elderly seniors he took care of.----Ha ha, I really like the beginning of this sentence, but I wanted to change that word so it does not sound like you are talking about "the elderly" altogether like some conglomeration. :-)

Use a comma for every compound sentence:
Mr. Joy is my name, and I am...

Brilliant, you are great...

Home / Undergraduate / "originally a country boy with drive and aspiration" - rice -perspective essay.