Overcoming the Peer Pressure... [Common App Essay]

joonghoon5 3 / 9  
[[[I can't decide how I should end. I don't want to leave the essay talking about too many things either. Would you help me with that please? ]]]

Overcoming the peer pressure

By the third time I heard Cody making fun of my accent in my English class, I knew this was not a laughing matter anymore. Through my peripheral vision, I could see my friends looking at my direction to see how I would react. I tried to be calm, but I could stop my heart from beating faster with an embarrassment.

I could sense that my friends were subtly ignoring and avoiding me from that point just because a few people had wrongfully judged me. It was a sad truth I found out later on, but most high school kids' mentalities are to hang out with the "cool" kids so they can be seen "cool," and to not hang out with the kids who are made fun of, so they won't be judged the same way. I really disliked the immaturity of some students at my school. Why couldn't we all be friends and treat each other with kindness, so that no one felt left out? Faced with reality, I still found going to school very difficult because I did not have close friends. The lunch time and the chapel time when I struggled to decide who to sit by were always the most strenuous moments during each day.

But, I have bravely overcome this social setback. I found that it would be too silly to consume my time worrying about such a small issue that is not going to matter after a few years. What I needed to focus was becoming a better individual by studying diligently at school, by being respectful of my teachers and faculty, and by taking care of my friends who went through more difficult social issues. From then, I have been a good student for my teachers by putting my best efforts into each of my assignments, by daily preparing ahead for my classes, and by doing well on the tests and the quizzes. I have also become a better friend. I have took my friends who used to be lonely by daily taking them to lunch and just by being friendly and kind when some others were picking on them.

After going through the lonely stage and helping my friends with social issues, I firmly believe that these positive personalities - caring and kindness - can make a big difference in someone's life. I hope that the students I will meet at college and the college I will be attending value these great personal qualities just as much as I do. I also wish that my career choice of diplomat can be served to speak for many individuals who are left unheard because of their social status.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
my peripheral vision

you have got to be kidding...no pun intended here? or..you being funny...

about an ending, im not sure what you really need to say because you talk about so much. what prompt was this? you talk a lot about different events, but can you focus on one thing and talk about that? most likely you will have to talk ab out impact/influence, so you can talk about how you overcame peer pressure and took the initiative to be a friend to other lonely people at your school?

Home / Undergraduate / Overcoming the Peer Pressure... [Common App Essay]